New red foot need help with enclosure

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
UVB is filtered by glass and plastic (except some specially fabricated to pass UV).

If you want to cover the top to keep temperatures steady - this can work. You can use tin foil for that too (it's easier to cut around the light fixtures). But don't cover the enclosure until you have a thermostat to turn the heater on and off

HLG

Wisconsin
UVB is filtered by glass and plastic (except some specially fabricated to pass UV).

If you want to cover the top to keep temperatures steady - this can work. You can use tin foil for that too (it's easier to cut around the light fixtures). But don't cover the enclosure until you have a thermostat to turn the heater on and off

My thermostat is taking forever. We had a big snow storm so it delayed the shipment. Do you literally just tape a big piece of aluminum foil over the whole tank and then cut a hole for the light? I’ve been brainstorming ideas because once I get the thermostat I think I may still have trouble with humidity. I do have the tank in a green house but I think it might still give me trouble

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can just wrap the foil around meshed lids, or duct tape it. The main way of losing heat is through the top of the tank.

Greenhouse should work fine for retaining humidity and foil will help as well.

When the thermostat arrives - we will check how things work and adjust setup if necessary. Don't worry we've got you covered :)

HLG

Wisconsin
You can just wrap the foil around meshed lids, or duct tape it. The main way of losing heat is through the top of the tank.

Greenhouse should work fine for retaining humidity and foil will help as well.

When the thermostat arrives - we will check how things work and adjust setup if necessary. Don't worry we've got you covered :)
Thank you so much! I just feel like I’m doing it all wrong. You guys have been so helpful

HLG

Wisconsin
Thank you so much! I just feel like I’m doing it all wrong. You guys have been so helpful
I have gotten the thermostat set up for it to stay between 82-83 degrees. I have it sitting on top of the mesh because I did have it hanging but I felt like it was still to warm when I spot checked with the temp gun. The humidity is only staying at about 50. It will bump up really quick if I turn the humidifier on but that gets difficult to do through out the day. So should I try and use the tin foil over the top with the green house or just use the tin foil? Or any other suggestions on what I can do?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I have gotten the thermostat set up for it to stay between 82-83 degrees. I have it sitting on top of the mesh because I did have it hanging but I felt like it was still to warm when I spot checked with the temp gun. The humidity is only staying at about 50. It will bump up really quick if I turn the humidifier on but that gets difficult to do through out the day. So should I try and use the tin foil over the top with the green house or just use the tin foil? Or any other suggestions on what I can do?
Cover the top for sure. Tin foil probably be easiest

Reactions: HLG

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Ok I will try this. I can see that the bottom of the substrate is wet but there isn’t any condensation
Yep cover it up real good. Humidity should come up within the hour. If it's really wet I would rotate the substrate when the humidity starts dropping off that will help dry it up a little to get rid of excess water.

HLG

Wisconsin
Yep cover it up real good. Humidity should come up within the hour. If it's really wet I would rotate the substrate when the humidity starts dropping off that will help dry it up a little to get rid of excess water.
Right now the humidity is at 74 and has kind of stayed there. Should I continue to watch it and if it doesn’t rise anymore add a little bit more water to the substrate? I’m also going to have to figure out how to adjust my ambient light and uvb light since they were about the tank and now there is foil over it.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Right now the humidity is at 74 and has kind of stayed there. Should I continue to watch it and if it doesn’t rise anymore add a little bit more water to the substrate? I’m also going to have to figure out how to adjust my ambient light and uvb light since they were about the tank and now there is foil over it.
If you have any standing water don't add more. If you don't have any water add a little bit more hot water in the corners.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
About the thermostat: it should turn heater on and off depending on temperatures where you tortoise is. You need to place a probe somewhere in the enclosure, not directly under the heater. Hide roof looks a suitable place to me, just set a thermostat a degree or two higher - e.g. 84-85F.

You will get higher temperature right under the ceramic heater, it's expected. If the hot spot temperature is 86-90F with the rest of the enclosure at desired 82-83F - you are fine.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
With all due respect, I keep my RedFoot at 85 to 90 degrees with 90% humidity...To me, 80 degrees is almost too cool for all that humidity..DSCN1241.JPG

HLG

Wisconsin
About the thermostat: it should turn heater on and off depending on temperatures where you tortoise is. You need to place a probe somewhere in the enclosure, not directly under the heater. Hide roof looks a suitable place to me, just set a thermostat a degree or two higher - e.g. 84-85F.

You will get higher temperature right under the ceramic heater, it's expected. If the hot spot temperature is 86-90F with the rest of the enclosure at desired 82-83F - you are fine.

Right now I have the probe for the thermostat next to the probe for her humidity. The probe is close to her hide and the Che is above her hide where she spends most of her time. If I move the probe on top of the hide then it’s directly under the ceramic heater. Should I move the heater or probe to the other side? I attached a picture. The hot spot is 90 sometimes I get a little higher and then the other side of the tank is 80 so I could bump up the thermostat?

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

HLG

Wisconsin
With all due respect, I keep my RedFoot at 85 to 90 degrees with 90% humidity...To me, 80 degrees is almost too cool for all that humidity..View attachment 366041
Right now I have the thermostat set at 82. Her hide is under the Che. When I use the temp gun it comes to 90 or sometimes a little higher but on the other side the temp gun is telling me 80. My humidity has been between 65-75 so I’m trying to pump up the humidity and get her in the right environment

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Right now I have the thermostat set at 82. Her hide is under the Che. When I use the temp gun it comes to 90 or sometimes a little higher but on the other side the temp gun is telling me 80. My humidity has been between 65-75 so I’m trying to pump up the humidity and get her in the right environment
Okay, that is really close to the optimal layout. I would move the thermostat probe closer to the cold end and a CHE dome several inches closer to the middle of the tank.

As the hide is right under the CHE - you can place a bowl or saucer with water on the hide roof. This should give a humidity boost too.

HLG

Wisconsin
Okay, that is really close to the optimal layout. I would move the thermostat probe closer to the cold end and a CHE dome several inches closer to the middle of the tank.

As the hide is right under the CHE - you can place a bowl or saucer with water on the hide roof. This should give a humidity boost too.
I will do that! I actually added more water to the corners and the humidity came up right away. I think I just didn’t have enough moisture and it was still pretty dry from before. Hopefully then she will have the right steady temps.

She is also about 5 feet across from a window so she is getting some sunlight when the sun is out but I’m wondering if this is enough? Do you have any suggestions on the uvb light with the tin foil on top?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Great news, that you've tackled the humidity issue!

UVB is blocked by common glass and plastics (window glass, greenhouse cover and tank walls in your case), so you need to use a UVB lamp. Don't worry, a week or two without UVB is not harmful.

Arcadia T5 tube fixtures have metallic clips for mounting - you can use plastic zip ties to fix them to the mesh itself or to the mesh top frame. This can be done later, and right now just put the lamp on a mesh and cut foil around it. If you have a Solarmeter, you can measure what distance you need and then we can figure out how to fix the lamp in place.

HLG

Wisconsin
Great news, that you've tackled the humidity issue!

UVB is blocked by common glass and plastics (window glass, greenhouse cover and tank walls in your case), so you need to use a UVB lamp. Don't worry, a week or two without UVB is not harmful.

Arcadia T5 tube fixtures have metallic clips for mounting - you can use plastic zip ties to fix them to the mesh itself or to the mesh top frame. This can be done later, and right now just put the lamp on a mesh and cut foil around it. If you have a Solarmeter, you can measure what distance you need and then we can figure out how to fix the lamp in place.
I have measured with the uvb meter and the distance that is needed for her is above the mesh. Before I had it sitting on top of the poles of the green house above the tank. I do remember that the mesh does dim the uvb so I’ll put it on the mesh and measure it and see what it is at.

Attachments

• IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Great, that you've got a UVB meter. It makes setting things up much easier! Mesh filters out 10-30% of UVB on average. Let's see what you'll get.