New red foot need help with enclosure

mojo_1

Location (City and/or State)
Saint Clairsville OH
I’ve been searching for an LED light for ambient light and I already have the bulb fixture so I was looking for a bulb instead of a strip and was wondering if this is correct. It is 5000k but it says daylight and wanted to make sure it’s not too bright
That's the one I use

HLG

Wisconsin
That's the one I use
Great! I’m waiting on my thermostat but I have also noticed that I don’t think she really uses her water dish. It is one of the clay plant bottoms. Every day when I soak her though she does go to the bathroom in that water and then I put her right in front of her food after and she does eat. Should I be worried about the water thing or is this due to me still getting the heat/humidity right?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Great! I’m waiting on my thermostat but I have also noticed that I don’t think she really uses her water dish. It is one of the clay plant bottoms. Every day when I soak her though she does go to the bathroom in that water and then I put her right in front of her food after and she does eat. Should I be worried about the water thing or is this due to me still getting the heat/humidity right?
Is the dish sunk down level with the substrate? That makes it easier for them to access. There is also a good chance she is drinking when you're not looking. They don't hang out in there for long. Mojo grabs a drink on the way by or when cruising through it. If I didn't have a camera on the little guy I would never know.

HLG

Wisconsin
Is the dish sunk down level with the substrate? That makes it easier for them to access. There is also a good chance she is drinking when you're not looking. They don't hang out in there for long. Mojo grabs a drink on the way by or when cruising through it. If I didn't have a camera on the little guy I would never know.
Ironically she just did this today as I was watching her. She walked right through it and stopped and took a drink and kept going. First time I’ve seen her do this. The dish is level with the substrate. And she walked through it nice and easy.

I did get a temp gun and on the cool side the gun says 77 but where the CHE is it’s almost reading 90 which I know is too hot. I put the thermometer in the middle of the tank and it’s reading between 80-84 all at different times. So I’m assuming the thermometer is the average for the tank.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
It's hard to get even temperatures across the whole enclosure with a single heat source. You can move it a few inches closer to the middle and raise the dome a little bit (1-2 inches, maybe). This will make a "hot spot" less hot hot and raise temperatures in the "cool end" a little. I hope, this helps.

HLG

Wisconsin
It's hard to get even temperatures across the whole enclosure with a single heat source. You can move it a few inches closer to the middle and raise the dome a little bit (1-2 inches, maybe). This will make a "hot spot" less hot hot and raise temperatures in the "cool end" a little. I hope, this helps.
Thank you I will try this. Her humid hide is on that side and that’s where she spends most of her time

HLG

Wisconsin
That's why I run 2 che's
My enclosure isn’t to large since she is only 4 months now so 2 che’s may be too much.

I’ve also really started concentrating on her diet. I was trying to find something on here that had an outline but found different info. Should she not get fruit everyday? I’ve offered her mustard and collard greens, arugula and she doesn’t seem to care for any of them. I was told she was pretty much raised on Romaine. I’ve also been giving her some mizori pellets soaked. Should she gets these every day? looking at the ingredients they don’t seem like they have a lot of good stuff.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
My enclosure isn’t to large since she is only 4 months now so 2 che’s may be too much.

I’ve also really started concentrating on her diet. I was trying to find something on here that had an outline but found different info. Should she not get fruit everyday? I’ve offered her mustard and collard greens, arugula and she doesn’t seem to care for any of them. I was told she was pretty much raised on Romaine. I’ve also been giving her some mizori pellets soaked. Should she gets these every day? looking at the ingredients they don’t seem like they have a lot of good stuff.
I give mojo the pellets 2 times a week and chicken once and fruit 3 times a week. But he's still a growing hatchling. Some people offer the animal proteins less frequently like every other week to once a month. When introducing new foods it has to be gradually and it may take them a week to get around the idea of liking the new things. Radicchio is a good one to give them.

HLG

Wisconsin
I give mojo the pellets 2 times a week and chicken once and fruit 3 times a week. But he's still a growing hatchling. Some people offer the animal proteins less frequently like every other week to once a month. When introducing new foods it has to be gradually and it may take them a week to get around the idea of liking the new things. Radicchio is a good one to give them.
So really I should stick to one green a week and do less fruit and pellets. I haven’t given her any other types of protein except the pellets. For chicken are you doing just chicken that you would eat?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
So really I should stick to one green a week and do less fruit and pellets. I haven’t given her any other types of protein except the pellets. For chicken are you doing just chicken that you would eat?
Yes, plain chicken breast boiled in water. I give mojo a little bit of different stuff with the Arugula mix he gets everyday. Like add a few pieces of mustard green's or Radicchio or any of the other green's you tried already. Sometimes if you hand feed them new stuff during bath time they'll come around to it. Also I sprinkle different dried goodies from www.kapidolofarms.com. also try hard boiled egg once in awhile or the occasional mushroom.

Reactions: HLG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Overall animal protein is 10-20% of their diet. Fruit can be as much as 60% and up to 60% of other stuff like leafy greens, flowers. You may change the balance from week to week, nothing bad about it. Also, you can feed mushrooms (10-20% of diet, taking away from protein and fruit) - they really love them.

Mazuri's components don't look great, but as a weekly supplement it works fine. Also, you can mush and mix it with new foods.

Here is a diet outline, to get started (there are some different approaches, choose what suits you best):

HLG

Wisconsin
Overall animal protein is 10-20% of their diet. Fruit can be as much as 60% and up to 60% of other stuff like leafy greens, flowers. You may change the balance from week to week, nothing bad about it. Also, you can feed mushrooms (10-20% of diet, taking away from protein and fruit) - they really love them.

Mazuri's components don't look great, but as a weekly supplement it works fine. Also, you can mush and mix it with new foods.

Here is a diet outline, to get started (there are some different approaches, choose what suits you best):
[QUOTE="Alex and the Redfoot, post...om/nutrition-2/diet-plans-omnivore/ [/QUOTE]

I have done this and it definitely seems to be helping. Just need to do a bit more adjusting. I actually took the temp with the gun right next to my probe and I got a higher temperature on the gun. Just curious if I should move the probe or adjust something else?

HLG

Wisconsin
Here is a picture of where the probe is

Attachments

• IMG_5045.jpeg
    IMG_5045.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Here is a picture of where the probe is
They will all give you a different temp. The digital sensors I use read that the temperature gets up to 86° but my thermostats for the CHE's are set to 83° which is where the average temperature is for my whole enclosure.

HLG

Wisconsin
They will all give you a different temp. The digital sensors I use read that the temperature gets up to 86° but my thermostats for the CHE's are set to 83° which is where the average temperature is for my whole enclosure.
Ok. I’m still waiting on my thermostat. Once I get that then I know I can tackle the humidity issue

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hope this helps you as much as it helped my wife and me.

He's a great source

HLG

Wisconsin
I’ve been wondering if I put a piece of plexiglass over the top would that work? I’m just not sure how airflow would work or how I would get the Che in? Would the uvb light be ok through the plexiglass?