(New red footed tortoise) Shell rot??? help please :)

raven44

Can we change thus thread topic to making a two Story tortoise enclosure and put it in the appropriate spot please? :)

Btw, pvc I'M TOLD takes a few years to finish gassing off...

I like the idea of letting it gas off/air out tho :)

Last edited:

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Sounds like you've already made up your mind with your meat choices on that one.
All I can suggest is getting snails/isopods/earthworms instead of actual meat.
Maybe that will be enough.

raven44

No, actually we clearly know too little about a torts needs to decide if replacing bugs for other forms of veggie protein is practical

We will learn soon enough I'm sure

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
How much chicken or meat protein do u feed?

Chickens nutrional profile is measured by 1 cup diced chicken

Oyster mushrooms are measured in 128 g incriminates

Not knowing how much meat protein a tortoise need makes me unable to calculate how much mushrooms ud need to feed to replace meat and if it'd be practical

If not whay other veggies could u feed that'll give the torts the right amino acids is what u ask urself here

Did u know hemp hearts have more protein than beef per cost per lb?? Ud get more protein Thats a better heathier more nutrient rich protein from hemp hearts than u do beef
It's not practical. This is not a matter of replacing protein with protein, this is a matter of providing a balanced, healthy and natural diet for a redfoot which requires animal protein. Mushrooms contain vitamin D but I would not feed mushrooms in place of UVB exposure for the tortoise, the same principle applies here. Please do not withhold animal protein from your tortoise, they are not built like human beings and are more sensitive to their diet. You could make an attempt to feed him no animal protein whatsoever at the cost of his wellbeing or you could feed him a diet that we know is healthy and good for him.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
No disrespect, but I think you may want to look in to an herbivorous tortoise species and find this Redfoot a new home. It's wonderful you picked him up from the pet store, but I think instead of experimenting with foods that could potentially be detrimental to his health for the additional protein (like hemp hearts) it may be best to give him a natural diet he would find in his native habitat.

There are smaller species that don't eat meat and don't require such a high heat, high humidity environment which may be better for your situation.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
No disrespect, but I think you may want to look in to an herbivorous tortoise species and find this Redfoot a new home. It's wonderful you picked him up from the pet store, but I think instead of experimenting with foods that could potentially be detrimental to his health for the additional protein (like hemp hearts) it may be best to give him a natural diet he would find in his native habitat.

There are smaller species that don't eat meat and don't require such a high heat, high humidity environment which may be better for your situation.
I agree. I own a rescue and I have no shortage of respect for people that take in torts in need, I know how difficult it is to acclimate to the needs of a tortoise, especially with no experience with other reptiles and especially with a tortoise that is worse for wear and may need extra love to bounce back to health. RFs are more sensitive to diet and habitat than many other species, which makes messing around with diet a lot riskier. Too much or too little of one thing and you get diarrhea, too much or too little of another and you get constipation. Animal protein in my experience helps stabilize the digestive situation and is good for the RF, I don't think eliminating it from the diet is a good or safe idea.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
As for amino acids, plants do not have all the amino acids available in meat. This is something you learn in nutrition classes. Whether they can be replaced, I don't know, but was tought that you can not get all of your amino acids from plants. Just a thought