New rehab box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Just wanted to tell somebody who will understand how excited I am about my new arrivals. A friend of mine who is a wildlife rehabber of box turtles, gopher tortoises, and opposum babies is having health problems of her own. She messaged me yesterday to see if I could take 8 box turtles Thursday who all need some vet care. I really have a lot on my plate right now cause I am foster caring 4 raccoons til they are able to be released. They are realllly messssy! Plus I have 3 rehabbing box turtles that I have had for several months, along with my own turtles & tortoises, lizards, and dogs. But I can't say no.

The vet I used to work for does the work for no charge. I go to the vet hospital 4 days a week cause the other vet has hired me to tutor her home schooled kindergarten daughter.
I will have to find out which ones have open wounds before deciding which can go outside before setting up more corrals. I have 2 turtle tables that I am not using right now that I can use for the inside ones. I don't even know if they are adults or youngsters. I will keep them separated for several weeks and do a couple of fecals on each of them.

I am sure my husband will have a hissy fit...if he notices, but I am looking forward to their arrival.

Almost forgot...Saturday I got a call from the lady who had one of the coons that I now have. Her neighbor's boy had been fishing & a RES tried to eat the worm. The hook got caught in his tongue (the RES). So I met them & took him to the vet. We removed the hook. He looks good. I will get some feeder fish tomorrow. If he eats, the vet said I can release him in my neighbor's pond.
Thanks for listening
Patsy

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Aww Patsy, It is very exciting :D
It is very nice of you to help all those animals and reptiles.
Do you have any pictures of your animals? If yes, could you post them please :D I would love to see the raccoons and the box turles :)
Good luck :)

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Isa said:
I would love to see the raccoons and the box turles
Me too!
What a good thing you are doing. If you husband is a typical guy he won't notice ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh Patsy, I am getting tired just reading about all the work you have to do. ......but wow! What a rewarding life you lead.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Yes, I love my animals. They are what kept me semi sane during my hips & knee surgeries.
My camera died and I haven't had the funds to get a new one yet. Each month I say I am going to do it next month but something comes up.
My husband sometimes doesnt' notice for a while when I get new critters cause I have so many! He did notice the racoons tho, cause they are very vocal when they want to get out of their cages. When he got in off the road is when I had to put the coons on the deck cause he got irritated with their chattering. I love listening to them.

I found out today I will be getting a gopher tortoise to rehab probably next week that was hit by a car. It has a big hole about 1" x 1 1/2" on its plastron and his left front foot is mangled. He is about 10" long. I need to build a couple more turtle/tort tables.
Bedtime...thanks for listening
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.