New rehabber

boxturtle:)anne

I'm new to this forum, I just want some support. I found a turtle in the road about three weeks ago. She was holding her head tilted and close her shell fully. Also there were black birds pecking at her and her shell wasn't cracked but was kinda peeling in some spots. So I took her to a vet school that helps turtles. Well they said she had an abscess and was thin and dehydrated. Its three weeks later and I just picked her up for rehabilitation. They said I'll keep her four weeks then bring her in for a check up yo see if she can be released. I've never rehabbed a turtle before but I think I'm doing a good job, but its only been four days. When I picked her up they said the last time she ate was three days prior(a raspberry). She's very thin and doesn't move around much. So I made her an outside habitat and she seems to be moving a Lil bit.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Try live food, worms are good for box turtles. The movement may help get her eating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Canada
Thanks for taking the time to help! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anne, and welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles like the water, so a nice, deep waterer would be well accepted by the turtle. Make sure it can climb in and out safely. Depending upon the size of the turtle, maybe a paint roller tray could work?

Like Brian said, LIVE food will certainly encourage the turtle to eat. They can't resist a wiggly worm or a nice cricket. Here's an example of one type of box turtle meal that I use:

In food processor:
1 head of Collared Greens
1/2 head of Romaine Lettuce
1 green bell pepper
2 yellow crookneck squash
8 large strawberries

I microwaved til cooked, then mashed-
2 sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash

I mixed all this, then added-
1 22 ounce can of Alpo Beef Chunks in Gravy
2 tablespoons calcium carbonate
1 tablespoon Reptile Vitamins with beta carotene
Then place a couple live earth worms on top.

Another good one:

Yams (slightly cooked, then mashed Pedigree can puppy food (not too much)
Thawed peas & carrots Meat*
Fruit*

Put in food processor & mix until it forms a very thick paste. They eat it voraciously, as do the adults. I also feed soaked Reptomin and live foods.

*Meat – beef liver, chicken parts
*Fruit – strawberry, peach, banana, mango, etc.

And yet another one:

1 Ripe canteloup or honeydew 1 cup mashed fruit/berries*
1 can low cal dog food or cooked 2 cans snails thoroughly rinsed
ground turkey 1 ½ cups chopped leafy greens*
2 tsp RepCal calcium with Vit. D3 2 tsp RepCal Herptivite multivitamin

Mash the banana and/or berries and add chopped melon. Add low cal dog food or ground turkey and mix thoroughly. Add snails, chopped greens, calcium powder and vitamins. Mix thoroughly and freeze in individual meal-sized portions.

*Greens – dandelion, endive, escarole, collard, swiss chard, bok choy, romaine lettuce
*Fruits/berries – banana, pear, apple, strawberry, blue berry, raspberry, mango, kiwi

The bigger variety you add to the mixtures, the less picky your turtle will become about his food.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi Anne, and welcome to the Forum!

Box turtles like the water, so a nice, deep waterer would be well accepted by the turtle. Make sure it can climb in and out safely. Depending upon the size of the turtle, maybe a paint roller tray could work?

Like Brian said, LIVE food will certainly encourage the turtle to eat. They can't resist a wiggly worm or a nice cricket. Here's an example of one type of box turtle meal that I use:

In food processor:
1 head of Collared Greens
1/2 head of Romaine Lettuce
1 green bell pepper
2 yellow crookneck squash
8 large strawberries

I microwaved til cooked, then mashed-
2 sweet potatoes
1 butternut squash

I mixed all this, then added-
1 22 ounce can of Alpo Beef Chunks in Gravy
2 tablespoons calcium carbonate
1 tablespoon Reptile Vitamins with beta carotene
Then place a couple live earth worms on top.

Another good one:

Yams (slightly cooked, then mashed Pedigree can puppy food (not too much)
Thawed peas & carrots Meat*
Fruit*

Put in food processor & mix until it forms a very thick paste. They eat it voraciously, as do the adults. I also feed soaked Reptomin and live foods.

*Meat – beef liver, chicken parts
*Fruit – strawberry, peach, banana, mango, etc.

And yet another one:

1 Ripe canteloup or honeydew 1 cup mashed fruit/berries*
1 can low cal dog food or cooked 2 cans snails thoroughly rinsed
ground turkey 1 ½ cups chopped leafy greens*
2 tsp RepCal calcium with Vit. D3 2 tsp RepCal Herptivite multivitamin

Mash the banana and/or berries and add chopped melon. Add low cal dog food or ground turkey and mix thoroughly. Add snails, chopped greens, calcium powder and vitamins. Mix thoroughly and freeze in individual meal-sized portions.

*Greens – dandelion, endive, escarole, collard, swiss chard, bok choy, romaine lettuce
*Fruits/berries – banana, pear, apple, strawberry, blue berry, raspberry, mango, kiwi

The bigger variety you add to the mixtures, the less picky your turtle will become about his food.

Your boxies are gourmet eaters! My recipe is simple: worms and weeds! LOL.

I do mix it up a bit more than that, but compared to yours, mine are suffering.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I wonder how she got in such bad shape. The boxies i find always seem healthy. Maybe a little shell damage...

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello Anne and Welcome! If your capable of posting a picture, we would love to see your new addition! Hope your box turtle continues to improve!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks Brian she absolutely loves worms and I got a compost with worms so they r easy to find.
Glad she is eating. I would continue feeding worms (and not worry about variety at this point) until she is strong and heavy. Then try to introduce additional foods.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm new to this forum, I just want some support. I found a turtle in the road about three weeks ago. She was holding her head tilted and close her shell fully. Also there were black birds pecking at her and her shell wasn't cracked but was kinda peeling in some spots. So I took her to a vet school that helps turtles. Well they said she had an abscess and was thin and dehydrated. Its three weeks later and I just picked her up for rehabilitation. They said I'll keep her four weeks then bring her in for a check up yo see if she can be released. I've never rehabbed a turtle before but I think I'm doing a good job, but its only been four days. When I picked her up they said the last time she ate was three days prior(a raspberry). She's very thin and doesn't move around much. So I made her an outside habitat and she seems to be moving a Lil bit.
Thanks for rescuing the poor thing.

And a very warm welcome to the forum to both of you.

AJK Aquaria

Your boxies are gourmet eaters! My recipe is simple: worms and weeds! LOL.

I do mix it up a bit more than that, but compared to yours, mine are suffering.

What kind of weeds are they eating? I've never had much luck with any greens. Dandelions and plantain surround them outside and it's just a spot to drop a deuce...

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Mine eat chicory, dandelion, plantain, clover, sweet clover, crabgrass, thistle, all kinds of weeds. Then I give them worms once a week. Mine are in a group, I think that helps as they see others eating and compete.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
What kind of weeds are they eating? I've never had much luck with any greens. Dandelions and plantain surround them outside and it's just a spot to drop a deuce...

You got it! On a rare case I will find one or so graze on a weed but it's pretty rare! With the ground being so hard, my group would be pissed if I was giving worms only once a week, lol

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Mine are all three toed boxies. I don't really give them a choice during the summer. In winter, they get a lot of frozen veggie mix and salad greens. Some fruit/ veggies. This fall I am going to try Mazuri.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Mine are all three toed boxies. I don't really give them a choice during the summer. In winter, they get a lot of frozen veggie mix and salad greens. Some fruit/ veggies. This fall I am going to try Mazuri.

That's cool Brian, yeah I don't deprive mine this time of year with hibernation right around the corner. I make sure they are getting high vitamin A foods and plenty of protein spaced out between during the week. Before long I won't be seeing their smiling faces in the morning:( be like a kid going to college lol