Brumation

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
I have a baby Eastern Box Turtle, and her appetite is almost gone now. But she lives at room temperature so I don't let her Brumate too often. I dig her out maybe every three or four days. She's a baby EBT. I put her in her pond under her heat and UV lamp and then I turn them off after a day and she goes in her 'cave'. THE STRANGE THING IS SHE CAN ROCK CLIMB. I PICK HER CAVE UP AND SHE IS CLINGING TO THE CEILING!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby Eastern Box Turtle, and her appetite is almost gone now. But she lives at room temperature so I don't let her Brumate too often. I dig her out maybe every three or four days. She's a baby EBT. I put her in her pond under her heat and UV lamp and then I turn them off after a day and she goes in her 'cave'. THE STRANGE THING IS SHE CAN ROCK CLIMB. I PICK HER CAVE UP AND SHE IS CLINGING TO THE CEILING!
That is not brumating. That is simply hiding out for a few days. Brumation requires cold consistent temps, not room temp, and a lengthy period of weeks to empty out the gut before the cold sets in.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
That is not brumating. That is simply hiding out for a few days. Brumation requires cold consistent temps, not room temp, and a lengthy period of weeks to empty out the gut before the cold sets in.
I know her appetite is very low. During the summer she was voracious and pooped her pond almost every day.

Now she just nibbles at her food and sleeps and hides most of the time.

I think you are right but I think they have an innate sense that the seasons are changing. It maybe pseudo brumating!

Also I think they like getting high! I put a few drops of essential oils in her coconut scraps (Peppermint, Tree Oil, Francensense). I put only a couple of drops far away from her but she can smell them and really reacts to this scent.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know her appetite is very low. During the summer she was voracious and pooped her pond almost every day.

Now she just nibbles at her food and sleeps and hides most of the time.

I think you are right but I think they have an innate sense that the seasons are changing. It maybe pseudo brumating!

Also I think they like getting high! I put a few drops of essential oils in her coconut scraps (Peppermint, Tree Oil, Francensense). I put only a couple of drops far away from her but she can smell them and really reacts to this scent.
They definitely know what season it is outside.

Coconut scraps? Essential oils?