New rescue

Alex Z

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hello everyone!! Im honored to say we have expanded our family today...just finished putting together its home for the newest member- a eastern box turtle...he is 1.5 yrs old. He spent his short life living in a filing cabinet in a basement. The person who had him got tossed out the building and the cabinet too...it was out on the street in Brooklyn...the super next door heard a noise and dropped him off to the local petshop...I been doing business with her for 23yrs..she called me immediately and got there as fast as I could.....took him to my reptiles vet and he said all is well...he is very alert and active..please any advice is welcomed...his enclosure is 5x2 and I will be adding a 2nd deck...dont have more space to build a 7x2..I know of them...been reading all afternoon...his substrate for now is reptibark...my old petshop gave me 2 bags for 20bucks...he has a powersun lighting...a hide I made out of a plastic flower pot...some driftwood soaked and rinsed...

20161212_182058.jpg 20161212_180008_HDR.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I was very moved by that lovely little guys story! Seeing his pic brought a tear to my eye...imagining what could have happened to that poor thing if he wasn't so lucky!!!
Lovely enclosure for the little beauty!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
I was very moved by that lovely little guys story! Seeing his pic brought a tear to my eye...imagining what could have happened to that poor thing if he wasn't so lucky!!!
Lovely enclosure for the little beauty!

Ty kindly! Fell in love with him once I saw him...my fiance named him Stanley!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looks great and very nice save on your part and for jumping into action on a nice habitat. Here in Maryland, these boxies thrive in heavily wooded, lush bog areas, full of heavy deciduous leaf litter, ferns, decayed wooden logs, stumps, etc. id try and add a lot more leafy litter in so there are places he can burrow down in and dig for worms. Make a few crawl spaces, add in some stones so he can scratch beak and claws. And hang a light above the stones so it warms up to bask on. I'd also add a larger, deeper water tray where he can go in and lay and dig and soak and hunt for bugs.

Congrats again on your new boxie! So far so good!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello and welcome! Good looking EBT! Yeah, the guesstimate meter says this guy falls more in the 6-10 year range based on the shell rings. Of course giving a +/- curve on the multiple growths that may of occurred in a given year. Could be wrong but looks about right.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why older than two . They might've had him for two years . But who cares he's in awesome care now .

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Looks great and very nice save on your part and for jumping into action on a nice habitat. Here in Maryland, these boxies thrive in heavily wooded, lush bog areas, full of heavy deciduous leaf litter, ferns, decayed wooden logs, stumps, etc. id try and add a lot more leafy litter in so there are places he can burrow down in and dig for worms. Make a few crawl spaces, add in some stones so he can scratch beak and claws. And hang a light above the stones so it warms up to bask on. I'd also add a larger, deeper water tray where he can go in and lay and dig and soak and hunt for bugs.

Congrats again on your new boxie! So far so good!

Ty for the wisdom...this weekend he is the project....should I keep the reptibark? What flooring works for him? Getting cypress mulch and some stones too...want to get everything he needs..

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hes hardly eating...I added in a water feature for him...hes been loving it...but has barely touched his food...got him crickets, mealworms...gave him boiled chicken breast cut up with papaya andnothing still...

Attachments

• 20161214_061512.jpg
    20161214_061512.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7