New rescued cherry-head

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
I was contacted to pick up a red-foot that the owner could no longer care for. When I got there, he turned out to be a really colorful cherry-head, but with severe pyramiding. The owner stated that she got him this way.
He was probably kept inside on a flat surface since he can't really use his rear legs. He pretty much drags them behind him. Hopefully he'll get his strength back living outside from now on. He is very outgoing and a good eater. He already flagged me today. Here are some pictures.

100_2299.jpg

100_2303.jpg

100_2295.jpg

100_2297.jpg

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w, poor guy. Maybe with some good food and calcium he will regain the use of his legs. I'm so glad you were able to take him in.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Thanks! He will get a lot of attention. I hope his legs don't have any nerve damage.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I thought that if they didn't get enough protein that sometimes it affects their legs? Could this be the problem instead? He does have beautiful markings. Glad you have him now.

llamas55

5 Year Member
Northfield, MN
Glad he's with YOU and out of there. I just placed my foster standard poodle, who at age 1 year came in with 9 littermates ALL with atrophied back legs, she also had a heart murmer and vision loss from bad nutrition. The leg use came back fully in months, and the heart murmer left, vision improved slightly. So I think being the happy guy you report, he'll get there. Good luck.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
llamas55 said:
Glad he's with YOU and out of there. I just placed my foster standard poodle, who at age 1 year came in with 9 littermates ALL with atrophied back legs, she also had a heart murmer and vision loss from bad nutrition. The leg use came back fully in months, and the heart murmer left, vision improved slightly. So I think being the happy guy you report, he'll get there. Good luck.

Thanks for that bit of info. It does make me feel better. I just don't think the ever had anything rough to walk on, so his back legs always stayed splayed out to the sides. The little guy never had a chance. I've seen this in other torts as well, but not this severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.