New RF owner and need help

poshpoodle

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I just adopted two red foot tortoises. I have never owned them and but came across a lady wanting to rehome hers due to her having cancer and no longer being able to care for them. She use to work at a reptile store and purchased a tortoise she grew to love and was worried about before she quit. that was a few years ago. The tortoise was an adult when purchased. The other one was purchased as a baby from petsmart and seems to be in ok condition. Both have longer beaks than I think they need but I will begin to feed them on a concrete paver. The one from the petstore she said was fed daily with calcium in huge amounts. She said his shell looked different and it does- it is horrible! It is far too small for his body and deformed. She said his back legs did not use to work but now they do. His claws were curved into his feet and they no longer are but still not in great condition. His eyes look farther apart and are watery. I have no idea if they are male or female. She believes that the one with the deformed shell is male. She believes this because he mounts the female and also because she has a bite on her neck that seems to be healing nicely. She said she does believe the female (or what she thinks is a female) is pregnant. She said she has been digging a lot more than usual. My question is where to go from here? I just got them home and came here first for advice. They are currently soaking in warm water. Oh yeah, the deformed ones back legs do move now. She said they are very social, know their names and know what "want to take a bath "means. Had this lady not been sick I would have probably passed on the tortoises. She was very sweet and young and has terminal cancer. I figured it was just $100 for them and I can hopefully give them a better life. Any advice is appreciated. When i am through soaking them I will get pics- please just know I did not do that to them- I am sad for them!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
After posting pics, we may be able to give more advice. You can also take a look on the tortoiselibrary.com. Good RF info