New Russian Tortoise Owner from Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Hello from Colorado!

This is my first time posting message on the forum but I have been using this forum for seeking answers and general info in the past. The forum is very active and exciting. Look forward to chatting with people on this forum, in particular, the Russian Tortoise section.

Cheers,
Sean

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He Sean:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Thanks, let me introduce to you Lily (my daughter named her). We got her recently from a local who adapted her from an animal hospital. She is about 5 inches in length. Very active and eats a lot. She is quite a character. Along with her, we got her buddy Rocky, he is about 5 inches too. Very aggressive and active too.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are my favorite :)
IMG_2327.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
xcbroker said:
Hello from Colorado!

This is my first time posting message on the forum but I have been using this forum for seeking answers and general info in the past. The forum is very active and exciting. Look forward to chatting with people on this forum, in particular, the Russian Tortoise section.

Cheers,
Sean

Hey there, Sean. Welcome to TFO. I live in Denver, and have two Russian tortoises, a male and a female. I'd introduce you to them, but they're sleeping through the winter in a fridge right now. ;)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome !!!! Some pretty Russians u have there :D
Do u keep them housed together or seperate ? I just wondering cause a lot of people have problems with housing one male and one female togrther because the male will mount the female so much he rubs her carapace raw. It would interesting to know how yours get along :)

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado
Welcome to the forum .... those are some nice looking russians you got there ... my male female combo didnt get along at first, but after adding a nother food dish they dont fight any more ... what part of colorado are you from ?

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
@BrinnANDGupta, I have to house them separately. I have total 3 houses, each is about 3' x 2.5' x 1'. My male tortoise Rocky is a very aggressive male and attack anyone who lands in his territory. Lily lived together with Rocky for many years in a wooden tortoise table according to their previous owner. I am not sure how that worked but I have the feeling that Rocky picked on Lily a lot.

@slowpoke, I am from Denver. I obtained another male CoCo and I have tried to see if any two of them can be housed together. My conclusion is that it really depends on the personality of individual tortoise. CoCo is about 4.5" male that I obtained from a local family who was misinformed by Petsmart personnel and kept CoCo for more than 2 years without proper nutrition and UVB. There are also dry shell rot on his shell and the size/shape of his shell is out of proportion with his head and legs.

Anyway, I was amazed to see how CoCo gets along so well with Lily. They cuddle together all the time sleeping. They do not fight when they are eating off the same food dish. I have never seen them fighting at all. Most of the time, they will touch their noses diligently trying to smell the other and then peacefully stay together.

Rocky is a whole different animal. He will race to any intruder and start to bob his head, smell and open mouth to bite, at shell, at rear legs, at front legs, or face. Even the other tortoise succumb to his superiority, he rams on them with his shell. You would have to see it to believe. He is definitely best kept alone until someone bigger more aggressive shows up :)

Moosey

5 Year Member
Hi Sean,
I am new too & also from Colorado. I have 2 Russians. I personally think they are the best. :) As soon as I learn to post pictures I will.. I am a little curious if my little "guy" is really a guy. :) Have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.