new russian tortoise

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
My tortoise has not flashed me, but I have seen pictures of it here on the forum. That spring mix sounds good. Does your grocery store sell turnip greens or dandelion greens? They love those and they're good for them.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes mix them all together. @Tom has a very good list of foods for Russian tortoises. It is possible to feed them pretty well with grocery Store food but you might want to try growing your own.you can buy Russian tortoise seed mix from tortoise supply.com or Carolina pet supply.com.I grow these inside during the winter and in the outdoor enclosure in the summer. I personally think the most important thing is variety of good foods.resident every once in a while I give my tortoise a piece of cucumber to help with hydration. Do you like and cactus has a lot of calcium.fruit isn't good for them though.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, you can also put more substrate inside the hide and make mounds of it around. They like walking up and down hills and climbing over things. But don't put things to climb onto close to the light cause they could flip over under the light and that can be very dangerous. And not too close to the edge or he will climb out. Look in the enclosures section for some ideas.