Biting Russian Tortoise

Wivvi

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
hi, i have a 4 year old russian male tortoise and i let him walk around my room except live in a cage he use to be in, it was a bit too small for him and as he grew larger the scratched the cage more, every time i hold him he tries to bite my finger, or when he sees my face he does everything to get to it. I think hes mad at me because once i seen this advise where if your tortoise starts biting you tap him on the nose... That didnt really seem to work because i think he hates me now Any help would be fine thank you

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Biting is what torts do to defend their territory and males also do it to to females. Russians are particularly known for it.

Your Russian needs a proper sized enclosure - at least 4' x 8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) and it should not be allowed to roam the house.

It's not safe or healthy to let it roam your home because:
- You only have to be distracted for a moment and you have an escape or you step on your tort (we had one on TFO only last week :( )
- Your tort is away from the heat, UVB and humidity it needs to be healthy
- There's a high risk of your tort eating something it shouldn't including dust and hair which cause gut impaction.

Give your tort a proper sized home and leave him in it and then you won't be bitten and he will be healthy and happy that he doesn't need to send you away.

Wivvi

Uk
Ill try to get him a better enviroment and see if it works on the biting situation, thank you

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Wivvi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Please post pics of your tort as well as the enclosure (that is, if it is ready).

Read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the Russian Tort care sheet. Give your tort daily soaks in warm water.

Ask ANY question when in need of help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't take it personally. Tortoises don't get mad or hold a grudge.
But it is VERY hard to change a tortoises behavior. Certainly poking him with a finger on his nose won't help...And could result in the loss of the tip of your finger.
I have a pretty docile tortoise that always tries to bite my feet. Just be aware of the dangers and work around them.;)

Mr Buster

Reno NV
Don't take it personally. Tortoises don't get mad or hold a grudge. ;)

Mine currently has refused to eat the past 4 days once I stopped feeding him peas thanks to the advice I received on this forum.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mine currently has refused to eat the past 4 days once I stopped feeding him peas thanks to the advice I received on this forum.
That's just sulking :D Just hold out and he'll eat when he's hungry. They're very manipulative. Daily 30 minute soaks are vital during hunger strikes too. They can go a long time without food, but not water.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't take it personally. Tortoises don't get mad or hold a grudge.
But it is VERY hard to change a tortoises behavior. Certainly poking him with a finger on his nose won't help...And could result in the loss of the tip of your finger.
I have a pretty docile tortoise that always tries to bite my feet. Just be aware of the dangers and work around them.;)
Hi Ed. Do you have any "explanation" to your tort's behaviour?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
A small capacity for learned behavior and a strong instinct.

I have a terrible foot biter too. I had her locked in the bathroom while we were cleaning her house and she did everything she could to eat our toes when we would go in there. She even wanted to bite my boyfriend's stinky feet. She's got more guts than sense.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
My daughter wanted a portrait with all the tortoises. It was virtually impossible though because the second we would let go of the russian he would attack the 15 lb sulcata. They sure can be feisty little things.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California