new russian tortoise

kikimalu

Location (City and/or State)
Garden Grove, California
Hi everyone, I just got this guy from tortoise supply this morning, arrived safe and sound. He is an adult russian tortoise and below is the cage. The substrate is coco coir, about 3 inches deep. I will leave him there for a while to let him get used to it, then later he will be in my front yard ( of course i will be at home to supervise). The cage is outside, and the weather in southern CA at night is cool, about 63-65, but he has the ceramic heater, so i think he will be ok. I also cover the top of the cage with plastic so it will keep inside warm. In addition, he will get most sunlight at about 11-12 pm. I need your advice about the cage. Thank you very much

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He looks kind of dry :( The coir is a bit dry too. Try pouring a cup of water in and swilling it around, it'll raise the humidity too. He looks to be outdoors, so you could easily grows seeds or plant out there for him to eat.hide under :D TortoiseSupply also has great seeds, my russian love the italian dandelion!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Congrats! Did you give him a good soak?

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
RTs are very territorial. You would do better to make him a large escape- proof area with a night box. Supervising them to prevent escape gets old fast, and doesn't allow them enough outdoor time.

Your substrate depth doesn't allow him to burrow to escape problem temperatures. The tub has the potential to fill up in a rain storm and drown him unless you have serious drainage.

If you're not planning to hibernate him, which is not recommended for new animals the first year or unprepared owners, you need to be prepared. You might want to have him indoors at night & in bad weather.

60-65 at night doesn't require heat. Daytime temps are critical, though. And winter is coming.

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
Looks good but I'd be concerned about the wire you're using for the sides. Russians are escape artists and he'll probably try to climb up it at some point. I'd probably replace it with wood or some material he can't climb. Even if you have a cover over the top to prevent him getting out he may fall and get hurt.

kikimalu

Garden Grove, California
Thanks for your advice guys. Yes, the substrate is dry but I read a post 2 days ago and it said that russian tortoise need dry substrate. So, should i wet the substrate? In addition, i will soak him twice a week. It doesn't rain much here in southern CA but winter comes so there will be one day raining, but I will cover the cage with plastic so the water can't come in. I really don't want him to hibernate so what can i do ?? About the wire of the cage, it is not a problem.
P/S: sorry for my bad english

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They don't need soggy substrate but it definitely has to have a little moisture in it.to keep them from hibernating you have to keep them warm and have the lights on them for at least 12 hours a day.

kikimalu

Garden Grove, California
btw, when i had him, and put him in the cage, i noticed there was a pink park released from his tail, looked like the anal (i guess),it was big and then dissapeared. Anyone knows what that is ??

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
btw, when i had him, and put him in the cage, i noticed there was a pink park released from his tail, looked like the anal (i guess),it was big and then dissapeared. Anyone knows what that is ??

That would be Thor's hammer

Tyanna

Wisconsin
He should not need heat at night AS LONG AS the temps don't go below 60. He does need more substrate to burrow.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Really ? When i saw it i was scared, didn't know what was wrong with my tortoise' s anal but he is doing fine now, thanks
I have a female tortoise myself. But from threads I have read they call it flashing, females can do it but it's usually just the males.I can't imagine it would be very scary :)

kikimalu

Garden Grove, California
That thing went out and then went in his tail, it is similar to your torotose ? Btw, i am feeding him springmix Dole, is it good ? It contains baby lectuce, babe green, endive and radicchio.