new russian tortoise

nicole r

Location (City and/or State)
las vegas, nevada
i just got a new russian tortoise after my last one died on sunday due to the fact my mother left her outside in the sun and she overheated :( i have a few questions if anyone can answer them? what should i be feeding him daily and does anyone have any idea of how old he might be? they had told me it was still a baby but they had no idea how old. and we cant get a heating lamp right now so do you think he'll be okay for about 3 days? ill take him outside every once in a while and watch him so he'll get sunlight. please help and thank you !! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433278566.127041.jpg

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
i just got a new russian tortoise after my last one died on sunday due to the fact my mother left her outside in the sun and she overheated :( i have a few questions if anyone can answer them? what should i be feeding him daily and does anyone have any idea of how old he might be? they had told me it was still a baby but they had no idea how old. and we cant get a heating lamp right now so do you think he'll be okay for about 3 days? ill take him outside every once in a while and watch him so he'll get sunlight. please help and thank you !! View attachment 132344
If he is from a pet store he is most likely wild caught so its impossible to say how old he is. He looks to be at least 5 years old but could be much older.

His dietary needs can be found in the species specific section under russian tortoise as one of the main threads. Until you get your hands on some of the things for his diet, buy a bag of spring mix from the grocery store for 2-3$ and feed it minus the spinach leaves.

Leaving him days without a heat lamp is not a good idea, seeing that reptiles regulate body temp through heating and cooling. Room temperature might be okay for a few days, but try to get your hands on a heat lamp.

I recommend getting a mvb which are a bit pricey but overall are the best choice of light for any tortoise.

It would help to see a picture of the enclosure so we can help you.

CanadianTestudo

5 Year Member
If you can't get a reptile heat bulb for 3 days are there any other ways you can heat him up till then? You have any spare regular light bulbs lying around and a desk light fixture you could use? Won't give him the uvb he needs and probably not quite hot enough either but would be better than nothing

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
If he is from a pet store he is most likely wild caught so its impossible to say how old he is. He looks to be at least 5 years old but could be much older.

His dietary needs can be found in the species specific section under russian tortoise as one of the main threads. Until you get your hands on some of the things for his diet, buy a bag of spring mix from the grocery store for 2-3$ and feed it minus the spinach leaves.

Leaving him days without a heat lamp is not a good idea, seeing that reptiles regulate body temp through heating and cooling. Room temperature might be okay for a few days, but try to get your hands on a heat lamp.

I recommend getting a mvb which are a bit pricey but overall are the best choice of light for any tortoise.

It would help to see a picture of the enclosure so we can help you.

Okay!! thank you so much! ill make sure to get the heat lamp as fast as i possibly can!

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
my new tortoise seems to be sleeping a lot (just got him today :) ) and he doesnt seem to like being anywhere. when i take him outside he just sits there or quickly finds a spot to hide. in his tank he just digs himself and seems to just sleep. he hasnt eaten yet either and he seems pretty scared of me. is there anyway i can get him to eat again and how long will it take him to get used to me? as i said he seems to sleep a lot but i was told he was around 5 years old maybe more or less, is there a reason his sleepiness ?

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Yes, when you first get them they will be stressed and basically hide all the time. It will take a few weeks for them to even out. Bear in mind that if they are too cold they will also be inactive. They need to be able to bask at 95-100 degrees, and have temps ranging from 70s and up if they are to be comfortable out in the open.

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
If you can't get a reptile heat bulb for 3 days are there any other ways you can heat him up till then? You have any spare regular light bulbs lying around and a desk light fixture you could use? Won't give him the uvb he needs and probably not quite hot enough either but would be better than nothing
i have a desk lamp i could possibly use so i could try that for right now ! :)

nicole r

las vegas, nevada
Yes, when you first get them they will be stressed and basically hide all the time. It will take a few weeks for them to even out. Bear in mind that if they are too cold they will also be inactive. They need to be able to bask at 95-100 degrees, and have temps ranging from 70s and up if they are to be comfortable out in the open.
oh alright that probably makes sense as i cant get a heating lamp until at least this saturday, i have been taking him out for a while outside so he gets some sunlight but he just seems to hide. thank you for the information !