New russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaity

5 Year Member
I just got a Russian tortoise maybe three days ago and he won't eat. I have put fresh romain lettuce and mustard greens in his bowl everyday and he won't touch it. I know it's most likely because I just got him and he is settling in but how much longer should I go without being concerned?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How old is he? Did you see him eat, before you bought him? What are the temps your keeping him at? Are you using a UVB light on him and if so, how long is it on? Is he active? What was he eating before? Sometimes it helps to start with what they are use to eating and then slowly move them over onto other types of foods.

Kaity

5 Year Member
He is one. I did see him eat before I brought him home. I've been feeding the same as the previous owner. He is active.

Kaity

5 Year Member
And I do keep a UV light on him about ten hours a day. He stays between 70-75 degrees. And our house is cold at night so I have a heat light on him over night.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Do you have a UVB light? UV and UVB go hand in hand in tortiose lighting.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Kaity said:
And I do keep a UV light on him about ten hours a day. He stays between 70-75 degrees. And our house is cold at night so I have a heat light on him over night.

This temp is too low. A cold Tort won't eat or be able to digest.

Besides a uv light, do you have a basking light? One spot in his enclosure should be 95F or so.

JessLouisee

5 Year Member
im kinda having the same problem with my horsefield, iv had him 5 months and he used to eat fine but now i think hes 'addicted' to cucumber and will not whatever i do eat anything but cucumber, iv tryed apple, grapes, cress, rocket salad ( which he loved!) its been about a week now and im getting worried. does anyone know how to get him back to eating normal again. hes still as active as he was before, running round like a nutter as i type haha :)

Status
Not open for further replies.