Not open for further replies.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
DSC00021.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

i planted hens and chicks.....and aloe vera is that ok for him in his enclosure?

mel262011

5 Year Member
Robertsdale, AL
I don't know about the Aloe, but everything else looks nice. I am making a new enclosure for my Russians today using a 4' round kiddie pool. Also, nice set up.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Mine wont eat Aloe but hens and chics dont stand a chance.

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
i took the aloe out.... he decided to try and burrow right under it... ripping it completely out!! but i just got home and there also is a lot of claw marks and a few nibbles out of it :]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They are both fine. I would make the suggestion that you might not want to plant things along with perimeter where he will be walking over it all the time. Digging under a plant is pretty much natural. I know if you went out to my Russian enclosure outside right now, just about all of them would be buried half under one plant or another, rather then in the hides.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I love the live plants. Funny b/c I was in Walmart today looking at the exact same plants, plus I was considering planting Echeveria but I wasn't sure if the echeveria was safe or not.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yep, the aloe was fine, but Jacqui is right, try planting it more in the middle. They really seem to like pacing the perimeter. Of course, if they want to burrow under it, good luck. You could try placing a few larger rocks around it, still may not help, lol.
I went to Michael's Craft Store for that very reason and got a few fake plants. they don't eat them, but if they 'uproot' it at night to burrow, I can straighten it out the next day (to be uprooted again...). They love to burrow under the fake prayer plant when they are inside.
So you can mix fake and real plants that way.
PS. Tortoise table says Echeveria are hens and chicks, so are fine (there are so many different names).
It also says 'feed in moderation' for a lot of plants. I have some with that advice in my outside enclosure, and the torts seem to eat some days, not others, so they KNOW. amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.