New sulcata caretaker

rachelk

5 Year Member
Hi to all!
My 6-mo-old sulcata is now the love of my life. Already rewrote my will to make sure she is going to go to a good home after I'm gone, although I hope I have at least another 50 years!
I bought from a very kind, generous breeder who spent a lot of time showing me his setup and his many (many!) tortoises. They all love him, one to the point that he follows him around constantly. Between that and having done some reading on my own beforehand I feel pretty good about being prepared for whatever comes my way...or at least knowing where to find someone who can help me, including all of you.
Take care, everyone!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you found a great breeder. There's not too many trustworthy ones. I am thankful to have found one on the forum. Welcome and, please, pictures!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Read the care sheet at the top of the sulcata page and see how closely it matches what your breeder told you. New stuff has been learned and a lot of people haven't kept up. Are you simulating the African rainy season, or a desert?

Just wanted to let you know that everyone's adult sulcatas follow them around. It's one of the appealing things about the species. Whenever I'm in the pen I'm tripping over one or another of them...

Enjoy your tortoise. They are really an awesome species.

rachelk

5 Year Member
Belated thanks for the greetings! I've attached a picture. She seems happy as can be. Her big milestone this week was learning to climb out of the bathtub (Frisbee) by herself. She soaks almost every night and now she gets to decide for how long (so far, she falls asleep in the bath and wakes up when it cools, about 20-25 minutes).