New sulcata hatchlings

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello again, Sabine.

I forgot to upload the photo of the new enclosure.

I know I'll still have to make some improvements, but at least the tortoises are no longer in such tight space.

I hope you approve.o_O;)

See you soon.

Kind regards,

Marco

Hi Marco,

do I have another choice than to approve ? :D;)
Okay, I approve, but not for a whole year. You don`t know how fast they grow !
When you cover your plastik tank with acrylic glas or something else I am satisfied for the moment......:D
The changes you have made ( shoe box out ) are fine and I like it. Grasbuckles that have gone dry you can change, That`s what I am doing too.

What bulbs do you use ? One for heat and one for UVB ?
Improvements are in progress ......:D

Kind regards
Sabine

Marco1970

Hello, Sabine.

I know the enclosure is far from perfect, but I think I'm making some progress, in fact, I've even got some more material to continue the improvements.;)

So far they do not seem to have grown much, but the clearest one is clearly a little bigger.
Hopefully until March,this enclosure will serve because it's what I have best prepared for them to spend the winter.
There is the possibility of modifying the furniture that I have, but it is still in square zero.

This new enclosure is always covered with an acrylic lid, so that moisture and heat are not lost.

They did not like the shoebox very much, they like these pots much better and sleep inside them frequently.

As for heat and illumination, I use a ceramic heat bulb that does not produce light (I have six) and a UVB 12 lamp (I have two and two more are on the way).

I know the bulbs are too close to the ground, at the time it was the only option to put them that way, but very soon I will place them in a safer way and not so close to the base.

I change the lawn, the rest of the food and the water daily. I also give a general cleaning weekly and disinfected the enclosure as well.

Thank you very much for your encouragement, I will post photos soon with some of the improvements I have made.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,

Marco

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello, Sabine.

I know the enclosure is far from perfect, but I think I'm making some progress, in fact, I've even got some more material to continue the improvements.;)

So far they do not seem to have grown much, but the clearest one is clearly a little bigger.
Hopefully until March,this enclosure will serve because it's what I have best prepared for them to spend the winter.
There is the possibility of modifying the furniture that I have, but it is still in square zero.

This new enclosure is always covered with an acrylic lid, so that moisture and heat are not lost.

They did not like the shoebox very much, they like these pots much better and sleep inside them frequently.

As for heat and illumination, I use a ceramic heat bulb that does not produce light (I have six) and a UVB 12 lamp (I have two and two more are on the way).

I know the bulbs are too close to the ground, at the time it was the only option to put them that way, but very soon I will place them in a safer way and not so close to the base.

I change the lawn, the rest of the food and the water daily. I also give a general cleaning weekly and disinfected the enclosure as well.

Thank you very much for your encouragement, I will post photos soon with some of the improvements I have made.

Have a great day.

Kind regards,

Marco

Hi Marco,

do you run the CHE at night too ?
All other things seem to be right. But I had never had changed the soil and desinfected the enclosure of my torts until now.
I show you some pictures where you can see how fast my torts grow. I got them the 2.October 2016.
The first pictures are taken at that time.
Now they are one year old and as big as my hand. They really grow fast !
PICT2912.JPG PICT2912.JPG PICT2913.JPG

Attachments

• PICT2917.JPG
    PICT2917.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT2824.JPG
    PICT2824.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 4

Marco1970

Hi Sabine.

I am not sure if what you asked me was if I left the bulbs on at night, but if that was the question, I leave the bulb of ceramic heat on but I turn off the UVB lamp.

I have changed the soil every week and disinfected the enclosure, it gives a bit of work and it bothers the tortoises. I only do it because I read and watched videos that say to do it, but to be honest, I would prefer not to do it.

As I told you before, I put grass (I put the grass yesterday, in the photos I sent I had not yet put it) and a wild plant, of which I do not know the name, but that they appreciate a lot.Not withered and it seems that these plants will survive, If so, I may not be able to change the soil so often.

That was one of my concerns, Sabine, once again you helped me greatly by having told me that you have not yet changed the soil of the enclosure of your tortoises.My biggest fear is when in the winter, when it's really cold, I'm forced to take them out of the tank to clean it and they can get sick from the heat shock.

From now on I will only clean the enclosure once a month, if it is not very dirty, of course and during the winter I will not clean it, unless it makes acceptable temperatures during the brief days of the "Indian Summer".

Changing a little bit of subject, thank you very much for the photos! Your tortoises are big, healthy and beautiful. I only hope that next year my will be like this too ...

Have a good night, Sabine.

Kind regards,

Marco