Sulcata rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
Hello all,

I recently rescued a Sulcata baby from a family that knew absolutely nothing about taking care of them. The baby is in pretty poor shape! The baby is 3" exactly; has a very soft shell, was kept indoors without any lighting, fed iceberg lettuce without any nutritional value and housed in a wet environment. His shell is already showing pyramiding and his back legs hardly give... although he can move them but, no muscle and he's bloated.

So, yesterday he saw his first bout of sunshine, had grass and cactus but is reluctant to really do much besides stay in one spot.

I have a feeling he won't make it but I am pushing for the little guy!

Attachments

• IMG_1111tb.jpg
    IMG_1111tb.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 143

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Rescued Sulcata

2 days ago I rescued Steve (3" baby Sulcata) from a family that had absolutely no idea what they were doing :(

The 3" baby has a very soft shell, is bloated, hind legs hardly move. The lady said he never saw light, ate iceberg lettuce and was kept in a wet environment. His shell is already pyramiding, too.

1 day ago, Steve saw his first ray of sunshine since who knows when. He ate a little bit of grass and some cactus.

I am not sure he'll make it. He's just so lethargic and so much is wrong!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375994456391.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375994456391.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 147
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375994483218.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375994483218.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 143
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375994494645.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375994494645.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 143
  • uploadfromtaptalk1375994505381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375994505381.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 143

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Re: Rescued Sulcata

Poor guy. Ive heard soaking them in water with some baby food helps. I think theres threads about it on here?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
RE: Rescued Sulcata

He is just precious! Thank goodness you saved the poor thing!! I hope he gets better!
Hang in there and good luck to you.

J REED

5 Year Member

Plenty of warm soaks....

Jeremy

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa

Okay.

It seems that anytime I soak him, his bloating gets worse and his shell becomes even softer!

Feel so bad for him.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Rescued Sulcata

Try some baby food soaks and calcium soaks and as u know the sun will be his best friend

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The edema you see pooching out above the legs MAY be a sign of kidney failure. This happens sometimes with poor care. Also, I used to know an old lady with a bad hunch-back - metabolic bone disease (MBD). She told me that she was in pain most of the time and it hurt just to move. This is the same thing that's happening to your little baby. He won't move much because it is painful to him. Calcium and sunshine, hydration and good food. It may be a long, slow road, but you just might bring him back.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Oh my... Poor tortoise. Crossing fingers that you will get him better. I know he is in better hands now. It will be a long slow road but I have faith in you to get him better :)

ainfalt

5 Year Member
I know what it's like to have a tortoise that just won't move or anything. It's eating me alive everyday. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, too. I've tried everything with mine & I've seen progress then it went bad again. I'm not giving up though. Keep trying different things. You're the only thing the poor baby has.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry you got to him too late. I k ow this hurts. He looked so frail but precious. Thanks for trying.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I'm just happy that his last few days were filled with sunshine, good food & soaks. I'm glad he didn't die in those conditions that he was in before he came to me.

RIP, Steve. :angel:

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.