New Sulcata Mom(long post, lots of pics)

Bri26

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle
Hello, I have been stalking this forum for the last month so I figured it’s about time to introduce myself. I’m not very tech savvy, so please forgive any mistakes in my post.
My name is Briana and this is my new baby sulcata Einstein(Professor Einstein Burrows to be exact). I have had him for just about three weeks but He’ll be two months old this weekend. I think he was started a bit dry so I’m working to give him the best care possible. He is an active little piglet and is growing like crazy.
IMG_8655.jpg
IMG_8692.jpg
IMG_8682.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg
IMG_8721.jpg
IMG_8790.jpg
IMG_8796.jpg

Here’s his current setup...

Diet:
Grass(he doesn’t love it yet but I still mix it in every meal)
Dandelion greens
Clover
radicchio(rotate)
Romaine (rotate)
Collard greens(rotate)
Bok Choy(rotate)
Cactus pad(rotate)
Mazuri original(twice a week)
Reptical+d3 (twice a week)

Enclosure:
IMG_8735.jpg
IMG_8751.jpg
Tortoise table. I bought this before I knew how difficult it would be to control temp and humidity. I have since given it a plastic lining and a thin neoprene insulation(which can be seen on the sides in the pic). I have also constructed a temporary hood to maintain humidity.

Lighting:
UVB 10.0 tube light
Fluckers 75 watt basking bulb. 14”above shell. I use a smaller wattage basking paired with a thermostat regulated a 150watt CHE in attempt to decrease shell desiccation.
Thermostat regulated CHE also maintains nighttime temps.

Temp/humidity:
I have finally succeeded in balancing my temps and humidity both day and night. Current daytime basking 100°-103°F, ambient ~90°F,
cool side ~84°F. Large humid hide ~82°(he doesn’t like this one), small humid hide ~87°F(this is where he sleeps). Daytime humidity 75%-85%(working to get this higher)
Current nighttime ambient temp 84°F-86°F, small hide ~85°F. Humidity 90%-95%.

He also gets a 30 minutes warm soak every evening while I clean his tank and refresh his food.

As you can see I’m a little obsessed. I’m working on an enclosure upgrade that will be more temp/humidity efficient and also give him more room. I’m excited to be part of this forum as it has already helped me so much! Let me know if I forgot to include something in this introduction. I will start a separate thread to track Einstein’s growth.
Thank you!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good out-of-the-box thinking with your humidity hood fabrication. You can see how much water vapor is lost if you don’t cover. Make sure your temps are maintained, soak daily, feed a ton of mixed grasses and greens. Good luck.

And follow the Sully care sheet - it works.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome! Looks like your lurking has allowed you to find and implement all the correct care info. :)

I only have two comments, and both are just minor points. 1.) I'd let the night temp drop just a little lower, down to 78-80, since you have such excellent daytime temps. 2.) The new growth is forming a ridge which is indicative of some pyramiding starting. I'd use only one basking bulb, and make sure it is a flood type, not a spot. I believe the Fluker one is a "spot" type bulb.

Some good news: If he's over the 50 gram mark and growing, you are past the point where the dry started babies that are not going to make it stall. You've got a survivor and you'll enjoy many happy years together. Soon you'll be trying to figure out what to do with a giant tropical reptile in a cold rainy climate.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
It looks like your off to a great start!! It’s wonderful to see an owner that’s concerned, open minded, & willing to learn! Beautiful baby.. I look forward to following his growth!

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
[QUOTE="Bri26, post: 1668194, member: 111309"

First, his tongue!! OMG so cute!!! There is nothing cuter than a tortoise or turtle tongue (I am slightly obsessed with tortoise tongues)
Secondly, in the pictures where he is eating the green thing that looks like a heart, what is it? He seems to really like it.

Bri26

Seattle
Hello and welcome! Looks like your lurking has allowed you to find and implement all the correct care info. :)

I only have two comments, and both are just minor points. 1.) I'd let the night temp drop just a little lower, down to 78-80, since you have such excellent daytime temps. 2.) The new growth is forming a ridge which is indicative of some pyramiding starting. I'd use only one basking bulb, and make sure it is a flood type, not a spot. I believe the Fluker one is a "spot" type bulb.

Some good news: If he's over the 50 gram mark and growing, you are past the point where the dry started babies that are not going to make it stall. You've got a survivor and you'll enjoy many happy years together. Soon you'll be trying to figure out what to do with a giant tropical reptile in a cold rainy climate.

Hi Tom, thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I see you noticed my location which I “conveniently forgot” to mention. :) but I promise I will do everything I can to give Einstein the healthiest life possible. My goal is to be a crazy old women with a 200 lb tortoise that my grandchildren will inherit(and love and hate me for it)! So for at least the next 50 years I’m committed!

As far as the basking light goes do you have any recommended brands? With pyramiding being such a concern, Picking the correct light can be a little intimidating. I have attached two photos of his current growth lines. Is the puffiness the sign of pyramiding you were referring to?
IMG_8840.jpg
IMG_8841.jpg
Again thank you so much for the advice!

Bri26

Seattle
[QUOTE="Bri26, post: 1668194, member: 111309"

First, his tongue!! OMG so cute!!! There is nothing cuter than a tortoise or turtle tongue (I am slightly obsessed with tortoise tongues)
Secondly, in the pictures where he is eating the green thing that looks like a heart, what is it? He seems to really like it.

That was actually his first and last(thank goodness)taste of what looked like clover but was actually oxalis. And yes he sure loved it and I’ll admit it made a cute photo. But don’t worry I caught it before he ate too much and I won’t be adding it to his diet anytime soon.
And OMG, I am also obsessed with tortoise tongues. So freakin cute!

TortMom6

Citrus Heights, California, USA
That was actually his first and last(thank goodness)taste of what looked like clover but was actually oxalis. And yes he sure loved it and I’ll admit it made a cute photo. But don’t worry I caught it before he ate too much and I won’t be adding it to his diet anytime soon.
And OMG, I am also obsessed with tortoise tongues. So freakin cute!
I take it they shouldn't eat that plant? Good to know! I was thinking I could find some for my tortoises because yours seemed to like it, but now I will steer clear of it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As far as the basking light goes do you have any recommended brands? With pyramiding being such a concern, Picking the correct light can be a little intimidating. I have attached two photos of his current growth lines. Is the puffiness the sign of pyramiding you were referring to?

The notch I was referring to in earlier posts is still visible in the new pics, but you can now see that it is older growth from drier times and the new growth looks great. In time that notch will disappear.

I use regular Sylvania flood bulbs from the hardware store. No need for the brands marketed for reptiles.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have A sulcata also. his name is tim! I just found out that he hates his baths but he loves to climb Is this normal?

Could you make your own thread sharing your tortoise and his enclosure? We haven’t had an introduction from you yet :)

Bri26

Seattle
The notch I was referring to in earlier posts is still visible in the new pics, but you can now see that it is older growth from drier times and the new growth looks great. In time that notch will disappear.

I use regular Sylvania flood bulbs from the hardware store. No need for the brands marketed for reptiles.

Thank you so much!!!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome you seem to be heading in the right direction . Love the baby faces on newbies