New sulcata mom with a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzylover

5 Year Member
New mom to a baby sulcata. She shell on the bottom is ever so slightly[/font] soft. I feed her germinated bird seed. It is mainly different types of grasses, and a few dandelions and cheat grass from the yard. She has a UVA/UVB light, get soaked every day and is very active. Should I be concerned about the slight softness of her shell??? I am really worried.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ozzylover:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

I split off your question to its own thread so more people would be able to respond to it. It is forum etiquette to make a new thread when you're not talking about the subject of the original post.

Do you give your baby calcium?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
How old is your tort? I would get some spring greens from the grocery store to feed. Get a cuttlebone (in the bird section of the pet store) and scrape some over the spring greens a few times a week. Can you post a pic of your tort and how you keep it? That will help us help you.

M

Maggie Cummings

Your baby needs some calcium. You can buy some at the pet store, or like Missy says you can scrape some cuttle bone over her food. Either way you need to go to the pet store. And while you are out get some Spring Mix from the grocery store and add that to her diet as she needs more variety in her diet. She needs more to eat than seeds.
It sounds like the rest of what you are doing is correct, so add to her diet and she'll be just fine. Please keep us posted...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Soft for a baby can be normal, but it can also be the sign of something very serious.
Sunlight and calcium are both a must.
can you give us some more info or post pictures of how you have her set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.