New Sulcata mommy to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_jenn_1231

5 Year Member
Hello everyone just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jenn and I will picking up my little baby later this morning. I'm going to be full of questions and ill be honest I'm a bit nervous!!

I have a friend who owns 2 sulcatas and the info she has given me is nothing like what I've read here.

For bedding she says to use rabbit food like pellets for some reason.

She says to feed fruits and veggies and try hay.

The temperatures she recommends are way colder then what I've seen posted here.

Is anyone willing to give me a quick summary of the correct answers so I have a good reference to go back to?

Thank you

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!
You will get replies soon from the experts!! :)
Please dont be nervous! They will tell you everything you need to know!
Good luck to you!

krh11b23

5 Year Member
do not use rabbit pellets. A lot of people on here recommend coco coir I use a mixture of this and peat moss. Look at toms threads and raise your tort that way and u will have a happy healthy tort. Keep the temps at 80 with a 100 basking spot. Veggies are ok as a treat, but the main diet should consist of grass and weeds, maybe some spring mix 2 or 3 days a week. I feed mazuri 3 times a week as well. Make sure you have a UVB bulb, with this said if your tort will get time outside everyday then this bulb isn't needed. Good luck and post some pics.

Oh and my opinion is never feed fruits. If u do only feed maybe once a month as a treat.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Im new to this as well. I am still tweaking things myself. This is some information I have gathered and used for my Sulcata. My sulcata enclosure has a mercury vapor bulb (UVB) for the hot spot. hottest spot is 115 degrees and it fades out to 80 degrees (80 degree nights) humidity is very high. Enough that some moisture collects on the sides and top. I go to the park to collect fresh weeds. I shake some calcium supplement in a bag with some of the weeds I picked and offer it twice a week.I dont offer her anything exciting just yet. I offer hides that have moist coco coir for retreats. She gets daily soaks in warm water and her shell gets sprayed 2-4 times a day. My bedding is that coco coir and cypress mulch on the other side. she gets outside often in a secured enclosure. Thats my quick summery. :)

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
Teodora said:
Im new to this as well. I am still tweaking things myself. This is some information I have gathered and used for my Sulcata. My sulcata enclosure has a mercury vapor bulb (UVB) for the hot spot. hottest spot is 115 degrees and it fades out to 80 degrees (80 degree nights) humidity is very high. Enough that some moisture collects on the sides and top. I go to the park to collect fresh weeds. I shake some calcium supplement in a bag with some of the weeds I picked and offer it twice a week.I dont offer her anything exciting just yet. I offer hides that have moist coco coir for retreats. She gets daily soaks in warm water and her shell gets sprayed 2-4 times a day. My bedding is that coco coir and cypress mulch on the other side. she gets outside often in a secured enclosure. Thats my quick summery. :)

Make sure you wash off the weeds that you get from the park. The city usually uses nasty pesticides to keep their areas looking nice, but it's not good for our babies!

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Mangito said:
Teodora said:

Make sure you wash off the weeds that you get from the park. The city usually uses nasty pesticides to keep their areas looking nice, but it's not good for our babies!

Oh yes. ALWAYS wash! even if they come from a huge field that looks like it has never been touched. Im sure it washes off bugs as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.