New to Forum. Hello from Sunny Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy Gonzales

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am new to Tortoises. I am an expert on fish particularly African Rift Lake Cichlids, however I know nothing of these animals. I have just inherited 3 Spur-Thighed?Tortoises they used to belong to my mother in-law but she has recently had to move to a smaller accommodation as my father in-law is now disabled and they no longer have a garden to look after them. My wife and I have a large garden, we live in Jersey Channels Islands so the climate is warm in the early spring and summer months. The oldest Tortoise is called Speedy Gonzales after the 80s cartoon character, my wife called him that when she was just a little girl and in-fact there is quite an auspicious story how they came about him as he is quite a mystery!!!

It must have been the early 80s. My mother and father in-law went to see a large plot in the country on the out skirts of town where houses were about to be built by the local council. They had been offered a house there, having an original family of 7 children my wife being one of the youngest, the other children being some 16 years older had long left home. They wonted to down-size hence the reason for the visit. Anyway they were examining the plot where they were about to live ( and they did for some 10 years after which I met my wife when she was just 17 and we've been together since I whisked her away )
The field/plot was still in the early stages of development, there was rubble and mounds of earth, bricks, glass ( the plot once being an old vinery nursery where large green houses had once stood ) lorries and JCB diggers were going about their business. My wife was around 8 and she was also with her younger Brother Sam whom would of been around 6. Then moving amongst the rubble they saw! A large Tortoise!!! Naturally it was quite a shock and they immediately recovered him for else he should be killed!  My Mother In-law at the time knew nothing about Tortoises. They put out an announcement but he was never claimed. My Wife named him Speedy Gonzales after the 80s Cartoon Character, today he is still known as Speedy. He is Male, and is a Mediterranean Spur Thigh Tortoise. He has 2 very bad shell scars on the top of his dome shell, when my wife found him he had pollyfiller in the scars as if someone had had tried to do a very bad repair job on his shell. My Mother In-law has a theory that he has had the garden fork once or twice? After a few months she learnt more about them by getting books at local Library and talking to some local experts. One local guy in particular examined him and said that he was at least 25 years old and that was back in 1984! Well 27 years later he is now in my Garden munching on Cucumber, Lettuce, and Tomato much to the delight of my four year old son Jenson whom thinks they are very funny indeed. We also have 2 other Spur Thigh which My Mother in-law purchased some 11 years ago. I would appreciate any advice or anything I should know about Speedy and his new companions, Pinky and Perky.

Sent from my iPad

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum :) can you post some pic's of your tort's? :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Speedy Gonzales:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Wow, that is a great story! Sad that the in-laws are having to give them up, but nice that another generation (your son) is getting to spend time around them. Maybe someday, you will be passing the torch, ummm I mean the tortoises :rolleyes: on to him. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.