new to red foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
hey i have researched a lot about russian tortoises and know a lot about them, but i have come across a red foot and i became very interested in them. i live in Washington state so would the weather be good for an outdoor enclosure? it rains a lot in the winter and is fairly hot in the summer. i would have to have an indoor enclosure for a while though because i am only 14 and my parents wouldnt let me build an outdoor right away, but i could still take it outside. i want to possibly get a hatchling to start with because of the size. can you guys tell me more i need to know about the care of red foots? i am more interested in them then russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Austin:

Look for some of Madkins007 posts and click on the Tortoise Library link in his signature. He has some really good info about redfooted tortoises in his library.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
okay thanks ill try!
Look for some of Madkins007 posts and click on the Tortoise Library link in his signature. He has some really good info about redfooted tortoises in his library.
[/quote]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
WELCOME TO YOUR NEW ADDICTION~....
Check out TortoiseCove.com for some exciting redfoot/cherryhead action.

JD~:)

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Tell your parents youll plant a nice looking garden with some pretty plants in it, then put a wall around it.. (bricks,stones, cinderblocks) ... Thats basically what my outdoor enclosure is..
I make it look nice so my mom does not get mad lol.. Good luck bud

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The Northwest is temperate rainforest, I vote heck yea it'd be fine for a Redfoot! As Yvonne said, Madkins007 has a great website in his signature and Mike Pingleton has an extremely informative book:

http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

Eventually you would want to keep them outside, but if you get a hatchling, an indoor enclosure would be fine for a bit with lots of outdoor excursions. JD's spot on, welcome to an addiction, we're happy to have you!

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
so how long do you think i could keep it inside, because as it gets big i could take it outside in the summer. i would definitely try to make an outdoor garden/enclosure. but what about the rainy winters? if i keep it to be 10-14" could i keep it in a like 5 by 3 foot enclosure just until it gets warmer, because i dont think i could make a huge indoor enclosure and keep it there

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Hey Austin,

You have many options when it comes to redfoots, they are adaptable and persondable; a great pet. I understand the difficutly your having with keeping your parents happy and owning a tortoise. I am 17 and started with my "crazy" tortoise dream when I was your age. Then I had 4x2ft enclosure for my hatchling cherry head; now i have taken over the entire backyard with my herd of adult redfoots and hatchlings.

With a hatchling you can keep it primarly indoors for its juvinile years with trips outside. During the warm months you can construct an outdoor habitat where you can let it spend more and more time in the great outdoors.

You wont have to worry about having a big enough enclosure for it because it will not get to be 10-14" for many years and by then you will be a very experienced keeper and know how to house it when its that size. But to answer your question, an enclosure that is 5 by 3 ft would work ok if that were your only option. You could get creative with that though and make it being that size but with 2 levels, that way he has twice the space. You have plenty of time to plan it out and read up on this wonderful species!

Welcome to the forum and JD was right, tortoises are very much so an "addiction"! :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. I'd recommend a cherry head. They stay smaller than your northern, and southern redfoot countries. We can all help you prepare for your new addiction to come.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
thanks for the help! and thats what i was thinking, i will probably buy one as a hatchling so i will probably be out of the house by the time its older. then ill have my own place (hopefully) and have enough room to my self :)

Status
Not open for further replies.