New to redfoots

Julian foo

Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
IMG_3876.jpegHi guys,

Just got a 2 month old baby Redfoot and new to raising it. I’m on an island in Thailand and generally get 27 to 35’c in a day and humidity ranging from 70 to 90%. I’m keeping my tort (Wednesday) outside with no electricals. Attached are a few pictures of its enclosure. Since I work from home, I move it in and out of the sun throughout the day and it stays under the porch when it rains. Once a day soaks and mainly lettuce for feed along with vitamins once a week and calcium 3 times a week. We let it wonder the yard in the evenings when the sun isn’t too hot (of course under supervision)

1. Any additional tips would be appreciated on housing him/her outside.
2. I see a lot of talk about spraying or misting the tort but I was told by the seller that it may cause shell rot.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3877.jpeg
    IMG_3877.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Wow. Lettuce. That has just about no nutritional value at all.
Your Redfoot needs a very large varied diet of fruit, flowers, green leafy matter, mushrooms, vegetable matter and even meat protein.
Almost anything that you eat, that is unprocessed and raw, your RF tortoise can eat. REDFOOT are special. Take advantage of the diet and start offering lots of different things daily.
Your Redfoot will not thrive on Lettuce alone.
Please post a few other things you have available right now in your home and we can let you know if your RF can eat that.
Your environment sounds relatively good. Is there any way that you can construct an outdoors pen area for him to hang out supervised during the day that is many times larger than his current enclosure?

Julian foo

Thailand
Wow. Lettuce. That has just about no nutritional value at all.
Your Redfoot needs a very large varied diet of fruit, flowers, green leafy matter, mushrooms, vegetable matter and even meat protein.
Almost anything that you eat, that is unprocessed and raw, your RF tortoise can eat. REDFOOT are special. Take advantage of the diet and start offering lots of different things daily.
Your Redfoot will not thrive on Lettuce alone.
Please post a few other things you have available right now in your home and we can let you know if your RF can eat that.
Your environment sounds relatively good. Is there any way that you can construct an outdoors pen area for him to hang out supervised during the day that is many times larger than his current enclosure?
thanks for your feedback!

I heard the same thing about lettuce as well.
here’s abit more detail about its food. Generally a mix of baby cos (I think it’s basically lettuce), Chinese kale, bok Choi and fruit on one day of the week (mango/papaya).

What’s available at the markets:
Asparagus, mustard leaf, spinach, basil, Chinese morning glory, Chinese celery, chives, coriander, Kai lan, pumpkin, cucumber, tomatoes, squash, emoji mushrooms, champignon mushrooms, carrot, potato, sweet potato, lotus root.

We let it roam free on our yard with me and my 3 year old watching it for about 1 hour a day where he probably does a few laps around.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
thanks for your feedback!

I heard the same thing about lettuce as well.
here’s abit more detail about its food. Generally a mix of baby cos (I think it’s basically lettuce), Chinese kale, bok Choi and fruit on one day of the week (mango/papaya).

What’s available at the markets:
Asparagus, mustard leaf, spinach, basil, Chinese morning glory, Chinese celery, chives, coriander, Kai lan, pumpkin, cucumber, tomatoes, squash, emoji mushrooms, champignon mushrooms, carrot, potato, sweet potato, lotus root.

We let it roam free on our yard with me and my 3 year old watching it for about 1 hour a day where he probably does a few laps around.
Ok
It sounds like you are doing most things correctly. And the best part is your temperature and humidity.
Welcome to the forum.

Julian foo

Thailand
That’s assuring. Thanks!

Would you recommend other veggies from the store that I listed?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome! Be careful of the tortoise overheating in the sun. Plus, Redfoots do not need much direct sun, being forest tortoises.