Basking redfoots

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
I know that there are two "hot topics" with redfoots.
1: substrate apparently needs to be humid not wet. I keep reading think of a forest floor. (I guess it never rains in that forest) sometimes my cherryheads seek a high and dry spot while other times burrowing deep into wet mulch. They choose.
2: redfoots don't bask. I've offered my cherryheads the option and let them pick. Often times they are flat out with all four legs stretched as far as possible soaking up the sun. Other times they like indirect light and other times they hide in the shade of plants of an artificial hide.

I think we need to be careful not to preach one strict way and if possible offer our tortoises some natural options.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have only seen some of my reds sprawl out and soak up some sun when outside. But that's defendant on spring to early summer outside weather. In which temperatures can be a little cool at night. So this behavior would be justified. But being kept inside they never will bask. Your correct too. Forest floors even in rain forests are rarely saturated and wet. The soils are so fertile and drained that most the plant material utilizes it anyways, and or is drained off. Also take into consideration the layers of the floor in a canopy forest. So many plants will umbrella rain or mist.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine also can be seen briefly basking. It is clear, however, that when they've had enough, they head for the shade. Mine are almost always found IN their pool or hiding off to the side or under ground in the brightest part of the day.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Charlie, I spray the crap out of my substrate :p Kelly is correct that plants act as an umbrella and keep spots directly under plants dry. Those spots and under their logs are my "dry spots". If I didn't spray my substrate (pretty heavily) on a daily basis, the buried heat ropes would dry the dirt and mulch so bad that my plants would die. I also have to pour large amounts of water into the substrate and mix well once or twice a month. It's a back breaking chore in my enclosure, I tell ya. But it's well worth it; my plants are thriving (unless my torts ate them down) and carapace growth is smooth and steady. I haven't had any shell rot/fungus issue except for on Punch (that happened at around 8 months old) which was caught very quickly and so was corrected right away.

As for basking.. maybe my torts are some sort of exception but they bask regularly indoors under incandescents during summer and winter. My temps range from 78-84F during the day with hot spots around 96F and night temps dropping to 74F during winter.

This is just what I do and sometimes it feels like I do many things opposite from general concensus. So far my reds are pretty active, show steady monthly growth and are friendly little suckers. I love 'em to death and must be doing something right.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with you. It's why I like to give my tortoises options and let them decide what they need and/or want. I have had a couple who chose to bask inside, along with a few I have caught doing it outside. Is it something I see them do often, no, but it does happen.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is just what I do and sometimes it feels like I do many things opposite from general concensus. So far my reds are pretty active, show steady monthly growth and are friendly little suckers. I love 'em to death and must be doing something right.

Sounds like you are doing what your animals need in your situation. :)

gingerbee

5 Year Member
Washington state
My girl likes to bask under her uva heat lamp. When she's to warm off she goes to check things out!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My redfoot seems to like basking early morning, def. not a sun worshiper.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think you nailed it with choices. Provide your animals options and let them decide what they need.