New to tortoise forums :)

Xavier

I got this leopard tortoise last month and he came with a few issues... pyramidding and over grown beak. I have tried filing beak but he won't let me touch it as he is still shy. I would love some feed back on these 2 issues. His diet as of a month has been very fibrous and green rich, haven't given mazuri because I know that's all they fed him at the pet place. Should I?

Attachments

• 1404972167776.jpg
    1404972167776.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 30

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Xavier, and welcome to the forum!

If the tortoise is eating a variety of different dark, leafy greens, then there really isn't a need to feed him Mazuri. Mazuri isn't a bad manufactured diet, but it doesn't have to be a staple of the diet either.

Try to get your habitat into a more humid state and this will help the tortoise start to grow more smoothly.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Xavier

Thank you. I am thinking of making a hot and humid chamber. thank you for your suggestion. is it okay that it's more humid even though he is a desert tortoise? I have read that they can get ri from being to humid and such...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really need to read the care sheets at the top of the sulcata and leopard sections (similar care for both species). We have new info on taking care of baby leopard and sulcata tortoises. Its time for you to forget all you thought you knew and learn some new stuff. We've all had to give up our old ideas. The new crop of baby tortoises are benefiting greatly from our new knowledge.

The thing to remember is hot/humid = good...cold/humid = bad

747117wei24kafiu.gif

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I second everything Yvonne said. Some of those links are at the bottom I'm my post, written by Tom. They will help you a lot.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hi Xavier! I'm the manager of the instagram account you talked to. So glad to have you with us! Yvonne has given you good advice...the leopard care sheets are great! The photo you were commenting on shows a product of these methods. That tort was one of @Elohi 's "Leo Trio." :)

Welcome! And feel free to ask all the questions you want! :) A shot of your habitat or two will help us give feedback, if that is still what you're looking for. :)

Xavier

Thank you! I have posted a picture of the enclosure! And that leopard is beautiful. I am definitely getting started on a hot/humid chamber