New Tortiouse encloser

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just thought i would post this. We bought a new house a few months ago and built this outdoor pen for the torts. They were in a 70 gallon aquarium before, so they are much happier now. Once they are big enough they will have full run of the yard, but for now we are keeping them safe.

Still have more plants to add and maybe another hide. We plan to box in the end for the cooler nights and run a heat mat to keep them warm. If we ever get any cooler nights here lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_134712232.jpg
    IMG_20181112_134712232.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20181112_134651679.jpg
    IMG_20181112_134651679.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20181112_134640995.jpg
    IMG_20181112_134640995.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 103

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nice work.
Make sure that part of that enclosure stays in the shade. And maybe those plants will fill out and offer more coverage.
Mine also live outdoors and you'll find that 80% of the time. If the sun is out, they'll be hiding in the shade.
Also, I'd sink a shallow pan of water in there some place. Because they also like to take a dip if it gets hot.

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
I bet they are thrilled. Looks nice

Thanks!

Nice work.
Make sure that part of that enclosure stays in the shade. And maybe those plants will fill out and offer more coverage.
Mine also live outdoors and you'll find that 80% of the time. If the sun is out, they'll be hiding in the shade.
Also, I'd sink a shallow pan of water in there some place. Because they also like to take a dip if it gets hot.

Actually we built it against the back of the house on the North side so it will never see direct sunlight. We have been collecting seeds from wild grass that we are going to pot and try to grow so the place is more dense. You think we should do the pan of water instead of the ceramic dishes we have now? Thanks for the comment!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also like those cement pads.
However, try to dig underneath so that they lay flat and level with the substrate so that the torts don't scrape their patrons as they crawl onto and off of them.
Scrapes can sometimes be a good place for a fungal issue to take hold with moisture needing Redfoot.
All in all that's a pretty great enclosure.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Just thought i would post this. We bought a new house a few months ago and built this outdoor pen for the torts. They were in a 70 gallon aquarium before, so they are much happier now. Once they are big enough they will have full run of the yard, but for now we are keeping them safe.

Still have more plants to add and maybe another hide. We plan to box in the end for the cooler nights and run a heat mat to keep them warm. If we ever get any cooler nights here lol.

Looks fantastic!

Thanks for sharing, I'm working on plans for an outside enclosure for my redfoot for next summer.

Jamie

jacksknight

5 Year Member
Florida
I also like those cement pads.
However, try to dig underneath so that they lay flat and level with the substrate so that the torts don't scrape their patrons as they crawl onto and off of them.
Scrapes can sometimes be a good place for a fungal issue to take hold with moisture needing Redfoot.
All in all that's a pretty great enclosure.

OK we will do that. A trick we have learned with those stones is to smear mazuri paste on them. The torts eat at it and scrap their beak, since they have no interest in cuttle bones. Works pretty good.

Thanks!

normav

Ok cool, thanks!
Many years ago, I bought two "poop boxes" for small dogs at Petco. They are designed for mini and teacup breeds of dogs to urinate and defecate in, in the house. I took them around to Best Buy, Sears, etc. and found a dishwasher that was big enough to wash one of these at a time, and I had it installed in my turtle/fish room. I still have those pans, I use them inside (winter pen) and out (summer pen), and the tortoises love them. They have a slightly lower front (like a catbox) so the torts climb in and out, they fit one full-grown yellow foot at a time perfectly for soaking/bathing, they are lightweight but don't tip, and I never have to sanitize them because the sanitize cycle on the dishwasher does the trick.