New Tortoise - Health Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Cal.
We adopted an adult Sulcata, first time owners. Brought him home yesterday. We spent a lot of time reading ahead of time and created a great enclosure and an insulated shed with lamps for cold nights (So. CA). Brought him home yesterday. He seems great, eating, active. There is a lot mud packed in the rear of his shell. He has diahhrea. We will soak him tomorrow morning to help clear that area and see how he is. Seems fine otherwise. Is this serious?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to know really. I'd take a fecal sample in to get him checked for worms. You'll have a better idea once you soak him and clean him up. Do you know what he was being fed?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bart:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is "Bart" a username, or is it your real name? And may we know where you are?

I have found that quite a few sulcatas are arriving at adulthood with shells that are a bit deformed at the tail end. This deformity causes the poop to get stuck instead of falling out behind the tortoise. I recently took in one that weighs 75lbs and the person I adopted him to has to take a sharp stick or screw driver once or twice a day and pry out the poop that is stuck inside the shell area. Once you get it all cleaned out, it will be easier to keep on top of it daily. If it ends up being too much of a problem, a vet can use a Dremel and grind down the edge of the carapace to make a bigger opening at the tail area. But this is something a vet should do, as it may cause the tortoise to bleed.

Sometimes, because the poop has been stuck there for a long time, the tail will end up becoming quite irritated and maybe even infected. I wouldn't be surprised if the diarrhea isn't an effect of all the stuck poop.

Can you tell us how big the sulcata is? And I'd love to see pictures.

Bart

5 Year Member
Southern Cal.
emysemys said:
Hi Bart:

Is "Bart" a username, or is it your real name? And may we know where you

Bart is my name. We live in Ventura County. He is about 60lbs. I will send a photo. We got him from Arizona Tortoise Compound. He seems active and healthy. We will do what is needed to take the best care of him, and could use a 'tortoise mentor' to accelerate our knowledge. Thanks.

Bart is my name. We live in Ventura County. He is about 60lbs. I will send a photo. We got him from Arizona Tortoise Compound. He seems active and healthy. We will do what is needed to take the best care of him, and could use a 'tortoise mentor' to accelerate our knowledge. Thanks.

Sometimes, because the poop has been stuck there for a long time, the tail will end up becoming quite irritated and maybe even infected. I wouldn't be surprised if the diarrhea isn't an effect of all the stuck poop.

Bart

5 Year Member
Southern Cal.
Yvonne,

Bart is my name. We live in Ventura County. He is about 60 lbs. We got him from AZ Tortoise Compound. They got him about 4 months ago from an owner whose enclosure wasn't strong enough. We will do what is needed to help him. He seems active and happy otherwise. Shell seems hard and smooth. The fed him alfalfa and Timothy hay and Muzuri mix and occasional carrots and greens. We would love to have a 'tortoise mentor' to help accelerate our knowledge.

Thanks.

emysemys said:
Hi Bart:

Is "Bart" a username, or is it your real name? And may we know where you are?

I have found that quite a few sulcatas are arriving at adulthood with shells that are a bit deformed at the tail end. This deformity causes the poop to get stuck instead of falling out behind the tortoise. I recently took in one that weighs 75lbs and the person I adopted him to has to take a sharp stick or screw driver once or twice a day and pry out the poop that is stuck inside the shell area. Once you get it all cleaned out, it will be easier to keep on top of it daily. If it ends up being too much of a problem, a vet can use a Dremel and grind down the edge of the carapace to make a bigger opening at the tail area. But this is something a vet should do, as it may cause the tortoise to bleed.

Bart

5 Year Member
Southern Cal.
Good news. our new Sulcata Clyde is now happy and clean. We soaked him today and got the dried mud/poop (probably poop) out of his rear area and no more diahhrea either. He seems happy. I guess i would be too.

Bart

5 Year Member
Southern Cal.
Tom said:
No way to know really. I'd take a fecal sample in to get him checked for worms. You'll have a better idea once you soak him and clean him up. Do you know what he was being fed?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

He's doing much better now, thanks Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: The authoritative viewpoint

AcouriCor said:
What charming question

Once you get to know us you'll realize we LOVE poop threads!!!

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Bart said:
We would love to have a 'tortoise mentor' to help accelerate our knowledge.

Well then, Bart, you've come to exactly the right place...because now you have hundreds of "mentors" to help you with your new sulcata! When you get familiar with our format we'd all LOVE to see pictures of your new 60lb beastie!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Bart said:
Good news. our new Sulcata Clyde is now happy and clean. We soaked him today and got the dried mud/poop (probably poop) out of his rear area and no more diahhrea either. He seems happy. I guess i would be too.

Yeah, poop is one of our things.
What a happy 'outcome' for clyde...

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yay for pet owners who do their research!!! I'm glad to see every new person who is willing to take the time and effort to care for something properly!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
RE: The authoritative perspective

AcouriCor said:
Rather amusing piece

If you continue to hang out here, you may as well get used to the idea that we are going to talk about poop more than a nervous new mom does.:rolleyes:

Feces are a great predictor of health, even in adult humans. With animals like tortoises, which are even better than most animals at hiding what is wrong with them, we use every tool we can find to help figure out what is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.