new tortoise mom

MissKristineLynn

Hi there, my name is Kristine and I'm from Michigan. I just recently adopted a Russian tortoise from a childcare center. They were unable to continue to care for him. I am excited to be a part of this forum. I do have some questions concerning my new friend. I would like to know how old he is and if he is in fact a he. How often should I get him out of his enclosure? For how long? I have more questions, but I'll save those for later.
THNX in advance.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445729477.458610.jpg
WELCOME! I'm from Michigan too!

Be sure to read up, there's a great deal of great advice here. This is a very helpful forum, be sure to take the advice of others, you'll be very happy.

Welcome again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristine, and welcome to the Forum!

When you get around to it, post your questions in the Russian tortoise section for best coverage. Not everyone reads the "Introduction" thread.

MissKristineLynn

Hi there, my name is Kristine and I'm from Michigan. I just recently adopted a Russian tortoise from a childcare center. They were unable to continue to care for him. I am excited to be a part of this forum. I do have some questions concerning my new friend. I would like to know how old he is and if he is in fact a he. How often should I get him out of his enclosure? For how long? I have more questions, but I'll save those for later.
THNX in advance.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. It's impossible to tell the age, but a good guess can be given with a pic. As for sex, pics of the underside tail area and if the tail would work. It's cold in Michigan now, so keep him in his proper enclosure until it warms up in the spring or if you have a couple warm days left, haha, right. I'm from Michigan but now live in Chicago, so I know your weather.
Please read the adult care sheet in the Russians section for proper temps, humidity, etc.

MissKristineLynn

Thank you for your reply. I have not taken him outside, but do let him walk around our living room. Is this stressful for him? Thank you for the care sheet. I will send a picture of his tail and also his enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
THNX in advance.

Hello and welcome.

Like Barb said, post some pics and show us his/her tail and anal scute area, and we can probably tell you the sex.

Its not safe to have him out of his enclosure. Letting tortoises roam in human areas frequently results in injury and death. They need to be in properly sized, well designed, tortoise enclosure with the correct temperatures and conditions for their species. If you feel like his enclosure might be too small for him, the solution is to make it bigger. I also like to have a large, safe, outdoor enclosure for them during fair weather. This is another way to provide them with a large safe area for exercise, sunshine, grazing and doing other tortoise things.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kristine, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Please post any questions you have and someone will be happy to answer.
If the tortoise is very young, sex is hard to determine, but your Russian is probably old enough to tell from photos of his/her underside.