New tortoise, new forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandies

5 Year Member
Hello there!! I just joined the forums because I found a little surprise this morning. I opened my door to let my dog relieve himself and found a small tortoise in my path. I was hoping someone would be able to identify this little cutie so I can take care of him/her. I have a feeling my outdoor cat was messing with it so I smacked her away and put the tortoise in a box with some lettuce and celery. So far all it has wanted to do is pop it's head out a bit. I don't know if this helps any, but I live in Tampa, FL

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Oh and my name is Sandie, and I was thinking of naming my little friend either Larry if it is a boy, or Laura if a girl. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 36

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think its some sort of mud turtle, but without seeing the head, I'm a little unsure.

If so, its a water turtle. They can't eat unless they're in the water.

Hi Sandie:

Welcome to the forum!!

Florida is a great place to raise turtles and tortoises. The climate is wonderful!

Do you have a neighbor with a pond?

sandies

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I think its some sort of mud turtle, but without seeing the head, I'm a little unsure.

If so, its a water turtle. They can't eat unless they're in the water.

Hi Sandies:

Welcome to the forum!!

Florida is a great place to raise turtles and tortoises. The climate is wonderful!

Do you have a neighbor with a pond?

I will post a pic with the head. It won't pop the head out very far. He is incredibly shy. There is a pond in the park close to my house.
If it is a water turtle I can't keep him. :(

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1452.JPG
    IMG_1452.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 25

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w. He's so cute. I'm pretty sure he's a mud turtle.

But before you take him to the pond in the park, make sure about the laws in your state. Most states don't allow the release of non-native species. I don't know if your mud turtle is native to Florida or not.

sandies

5 Year Member
Thank you for the welcomes and the replies!! It is depressing to see he is a yellow mud turtle because I have to give him up heh. he looks different from the pics I have seen on the net. I put him in a bowl of water and he is really enjoying himself and has finally started to move around and eat. I am going to take him to the pond.

Thank you so much everyone!!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It looks like the mississipi mud turtle or the musk turtle both are very similar and they are both natural to Oklahoma..

T

Terrilynlai

hello, welcome to here, and it's very grad to meet you here.
i am newbie too, it's feeling very nice to be a member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.