New Tortoise Owner

middlephipps

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello!
I just adopted 2 adult male Russian tortoises from a man who bought them for his sons (who were no longer interested in caring for these wonderful animals). Their names are Lord Voldetort and Wormtail because when I received them, they arrived in the same enclosure and one tortoise (Voldy) was aggressive and dominant towards the other ones.

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania, and it is too cold to have the boys outside so I have them in indoor enclosures now. In the spring/summer, I am hoping to be able to bring them outside for some exercise/exploration. I've attached some photos of my boys!

IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1296.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like you understand the two tortoise thing, and have them set up separately. Good job!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum. Congrats for getting your two torts and doing the right thing by having two enclosure.

Welcome, good to have you here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I take it you already seperated them as you noticed the bullying already. Also the water dish in the pic, would be better if you got them some clay saucers instead the kind that goes under flower pots and big enough to they can fit their whole body in. Too bad the kids lost interest I suh

middlephipps

Pennsylvania
Thank you! I am going to home depot this weekend to buy them some new things for their enclosures (rocks and things to keep them busy), so I will definitely pick up some shallow flower pot saucers to replace their water bowls. I've noticed they have big personalities already, so I want to encourage their exploration and climbing behavior by making their enclosures as fun-filled as possible. Unfortunately, I'm renting a house with three other housemates, so the option of building a really nice enclosure for them is not feasible for me now.

Jodie

10 Year Member!
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the cuties and good job caring for them correctly.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Welcome to the forum and tortoise care taking.