New tortoise owner!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taloooola

5 Year Member
Hi
we have a lovely little tortoise called Taloooola, we've had her for 2 wks now and she's such a worry.
We tried housing her in a homemade tortoise table but we couldn't achieve the correct temperature, so she slept all of the time and didn't eat.
We now have her in a 3ft viv with a heat bulb and light and she seems so much happier, she's active, eating and generally pottering around, I'm just so confused. I have read so much (or too much) relevant information and everyone has a different opinion, viv, no viv, tortoise table, no tortoise table, warm, cool, sand, chippings aaarrrggghhh!!!!!!! I don't know what to do for the best.
Any help out there?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome to the forum:) we need some info what kind of tort is it ,what's the temp's ,what kind of bulbs do you have etc:)

Taloooola

5 Year Member
she is a Hermann, the cool end is approx 26 and the warm end approx 30-32. The heat bulb is a red reflector buld and the other is an exo terra UVA UVB strip light.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum and those temps I take it are celcius?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Those numbers seem fine to me! Are you soaking her daily? Is there adequate humidity? The first thing I would do is lose the strip light and switch to a Mercury Vapor Bulb...Zoo Med's Powersun is the BEST (IMHO)! Post some pictures of your tortoise and her enclosure...then we can give you a more precise direction to go in;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sounds like your temps are good. I might go just a little warmer on the basking spot. Much of this depends on your area and your particular home. What you've read can be a good starting point, but everyone has to customize things to suit their needs. This is where all the conflicting info comes from. That and personal opinions. Growing babies with lots of humidity and hydration is also a new thing and is working very well to get good growth on species that in the past almost always pyramided. This is less of a problem for hermans and other Testudo species than it is for leopards and sulcatas. I like large, open tortoise tables for adult Testudo sp., but prefer glass tanks or something similar for hatchlings and babies. There has been much debate over the humidity thing of late, but those who try it seem to really like it. Often the humidity needs can be met by offering a humid hide box. The hydration needs can be met by daily soaks (less for an adult) and an available water bowl. Spraying the shell with water (and having an appropriate substrate to allow for this) several times a day is a good way to help babies grow smooth.

I'd love to see pics too.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
All the mixed reports usally have something to do
With what works for them! Just experiment and see what works
Good for you,
Your temps seem good, do you get your guy outside
To natureal sun light, and daily baths?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Talooooola:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know YOUR name and where you are?

A lot of the info we give out depends upon the climate where the person who asks the question lives. If you live in the Philippines our answers might be different than if you lived in the Mojove desert.

I'm guessing you're in England?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Hello and welcome,

I found that cages worked for me, you will find something that works for also.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome! Like your torts name. There is so much excellent information on this forum, and so much experience. Enjoy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
W
To be honest if it is working for you, I would not change a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.