New tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
Hi, I just got a Russian tortoise from my local pet store last night ( I know not really a good place to get one). I have been doing tons of research but I still have a few questions. First of all, I'm really worried about him being sick, I'm pretty sure that their poo isn't supposed to be all green, could this be a major problem or just something caused by a bad diet and too many greens? Secondly, I'm really scare by the whole hibernation thing and would love so more info on that. Last of all, is it okay to keep him in a smaller enclosure, provided he's allowed out to walk around daily in a safe environment?
Anything else major I should know about owning one of these guys you think would be helpful too let me know,
Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I'm not sure on the green feces, buy a smaller enclosure will be discouraged by most members. Russian roam a lot in the wild. And letting him wander more also increases the risk of losing him, or something worse. I would say minimum of 4x2 for a hatchling or juvenile.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Poo can be green and be aok (runny and loose stool is undesirable)..it can also be brown or near black and sometimes depending on what they eat--it can also be light color with some pink ...lol..(oh, and there is no such thing as too many greens :p)

Well, since you just acquired the tort---it would be a good idea to hold off on supporting brumation for at least a year (this is a good time to get to know the tort and what his normal behavior is--this way if something subtle should begin to occur you will know it quickly by change in behavior) this will also give you plenty of time to educate yourself in supporting/facilitating brumation if that is what you ultimately feel comfortable doing...

Small enclosure? What is a "safe environment" you are referring to?

Also, here is a good link with some valuable information (other than the sand mix as the substrate...I like this link for overall info);

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

Also, you may find this one a good outline of information;

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

Cinnamon563

5 Year Member
I'm trying to figure out where a safe place for him to be able to walk around would be, I don't mind him being in the house granted there's nothing he can get into, he's supervised and it's not to cold. But I'd also like to make an outdoor space for him to roam around in for awhile if it's ever not super humid out which being the rainy season in Florida that doesn't happen often.

Status
Not open for further replies.