New tortoise.

Beth35

Location (City and/or State)
Middlesbrough UK
Hello everyone.
I am new on here today and would really like some advice if anyone can help.
We got a horsefield tortoise yesterday born in 2020 that I purchased for a shop and have got everything he needs as I thought long and hard about getting one for several months.
The problem is he wont eat or drink unless I hold some food to him a d then he only eats a small amount once a day and will only drink if we bathe him as I did last night. He just hides in his cave or under his hay and I have to bring him out to try to feed him.
Could someone please help and give me any advice as to what could be wrong a d what I can do. It could just be a new house I'm just rather worried about him.
Thank you
Beth

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi Beth, Welcome to TFO. You say you have everything he needs, could you elaborate pls? What kind of enclosure are you using, and can we see pics of enclosure and tortoise and lighting?

As to your questions, it is rare to see Testudo torts drink(they do it, you just wont see it happen often), just provide them water and soaks every day and they will be fine for hydration. As for not eating and hiding, torts take time to get used to new surroundings, they are very territorial and as such they react badly to their territory being messed with or them being moved somewhere unfamiliar. It will take a few days to a couple weeks for your little guy to settle in. It can be challenging to get pet store torts to eat new things at first also, so there may be some of that going on. I have posted the link to the caresheet for these guys below. Have a read and ask questions if you have more.

Also, pls be aware that there is a huge amount of misinformation around, if you stick to the guidance found on this site you will be fine, facebook and other social media is a minefield better avoided.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Beth35

Middlesbrough UK
Hi Beth, Welcome to TFO. You say you have everything he needs, could you elaborate pls? What kind of enclosure are you using, and can we see pics of enclosure and tortoise and lighting?

As to your questions, it is rare to see Testudo torts drink(they do it, you just wont see it happen often), just provide them water and soaks every day and they will be fine for hydration. As for not eating and hiding, torts take time to get used to new surroundings, they are very territorial and as such they react badly to their territory being messed with or them being moved somewhere unfamiliar. It will take a few days to a couple weeks for your little guy to settle in. It can be challenging to get pet store torts to eat new things at first also, so there may be some of that going on. I have posted the link to the caresheet for these guys below. Have a read and ask questions if you have more.

Also, pls be aware that there is a huge amount of misinformation around, if you stick to the guidance found on this site you will be fine, facebook and other social media is a minefield better avoided.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Hello Yossarian.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I do not k ow how to put photos on here.
We have a very large vivarium which is 4 foot long and 1 and a half feet wide. We have the basking light/heater that is 100 watt. He has the flooring he had in the pet shop (sorry I do not know the name of this) he has bedding and hay a cave to hide and water. He has the tortoise food that I soak first and vitamin D3 then the veg we offer but all he has taken is a bit of his food and some avocado.

I will read the link you have supplied thank you I really appreciate it a d will get back to you.
As for facebook I hate it so dont have it lol and I know there is so many myths a d different advice out there so that is why I can on here to ask people that have tortoises a d will have advice from experience.
Thank you again and stay safe.
Beth

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hello Yossarian.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry I do not k ow how to put photos on here.
We have a very large vivarium which is 4 foot long and 1 and a half feet wide. We have the basking light/heater that is 100 watt. He has the flooring he had in the pet shop (sorry I do not know the name of this) he has bedding and hay a cave to hide and water. He has the tortoise food that I soak first and vitamin D3 then the veg we offer but all he has taken is a bit of his food and some avocado.

I will read the link you have supplied thank you I really appreciate it a d will get back to you.
As for facebook I hate it so dont have it lol and I know there is so many myths a d different advice out there so that is why I can on here to ask people that have tortoises a d will have advice from experience.
Thank you again and stay safe.
Beth

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like there will be some things you need to change after reading the link. we are here to help and can offer UK specific guidance if needed. It is really easy to post pics, if you are on your smartphone you can hit the "attach files" button and upload them directly basically same as texting, it is similarly easy on your PC once you get the pics on it. It is very helpful to show us a couple pics of the tort and enclosure, an experienced eye can spot things you might not even know to ask about.

Beth35

Middlesbrough UK
Hope these help. Thank you for tell me how to attach pictures.

Attachments

• 16119443150316028504717637013853.jpg
    16119443150316028504717637013853.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • 16119443578521226714252570143967.jpg
    16119443578521226714252570143967.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 48
  • 16119444160529088665652935654567.jpg
    16119444160529088665652935654567.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 47

Beth35

Middlesbrough UK
Thanks for the reply, it sounds like there will be some things you need to change after reading the link. we are here to help and can offer UK specific guidance if needed. It is really easy to post pics, if you are on your smartphone you can hit the "attach files" button and upload them directly basically same as texting, it is similarly easy on your PC once you get the pics on it. It is very helpful to show us a couple pics of the tort and enclosure, an experienced eye can spot things you might not even know to ask about.

Thought I'd better let you know you were right about having g to change things.
I have ordered her subsaturate taken the hay out and ordered a new hideout for him.
That link was very useful thank you.

Beth35

Middlesbrough UK
Thought I'd better let you know you were right about having g to change things.
I have ordered her subsaturate taken the hay out and ordered a new hideout for him.
That link was very useful thank you.
Him sorry my writing is bad I have a bad hand so typing is terrible.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Beth35, you came to a very good place for help with your tortoise. All the best as you stick around and learn how to provide him/her with good husbandry!

Beth35

Middlesbrough UK
Thank you Tammyj all help and advice is massively welcome. I didn't realise how many people are so passionate about tortoise until I found this forum so I am very pleased to be on here.
Stay safe Beth

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Beth and welcome to you and your little tort.
There is a lot to learn and even after almost 7 years I still learn new things everyday.
We all make mistakes to start with but thankfully this forum helps us correct them.
The majority of problems our torts may have are all down to us so it's important to get everything right.

Another website you will find useful as a guide to tort safe foods is www.thetortoiseforum.org.uk

You'll find a digital thermometer and hygrometer with a probe invaluable to help you keep an eye on temps and humidity at tort level. Digital temp guns are also great for spot checking temps around the enclosure.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Hi Beth and welcome to you and your little tort.
There is a lot to learn and even after almost 7 years I still learn new things everyday.
We all make mistakes to start with but thankfully this forum helps us correct them.
The majority of problems our torts may have are all down to us so it's important to get everything right.

Another website you will find useful as a guide to tort safe foods is www.thetortoiseforum.org.uk

You'll find a digital thermometer and hygrometer with a probe invaluable to help you keep an eye on temps and humidity at tort level. Digital temp guns are also great for spot checking temps around the enclosure.

I suspect this is intended to link to www.thetortoisetable.org.uk ;)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry Beth - I gave you a link to a website that doesn't exist - follow Yossarian's link to the Tortoise Table!

SoCalGreek

Southern California

Attachments

• 6C498676-7EDF-41D7-819F-03B5CF47E218.jpeg
    6C498676-7EDF-41D7-819F-03B5CF47E218.jpeg
    283.8 KB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone.
I am new on here today and would really like some advice if anyone can help.
We got a horsefield tortoise yesterday born in 2020 that I purchased for a shop and have got everything he needs as I thought long and hard about getting one for several months.
The problem is he wont eat or drink unless I hold some food to him a d then he only eats a small amount once a day and will only drink if we bathe him as I did last night. He just hides in his cave or under his hay and I have to bring him out to try to feed him.
Could someone please help and give me any advice as to what could be wrong a d what I can do. It could just be a new house I'm just rather worried about him.
Thank you
Beth
Hello and welcome!

A few things:
1. Torts do not like change, and take a while to adapt to new surroundings even when everything is perfect.
2. Pet shops all over the world are notorious for giving terrible tortoise advice and selling all the wrong products for tortoises. Wrong lights, wrong substrate, wrong bowls, etc...
3. Look like one light over the tortoise? What is the temperature in that room at night when the light is off? Day time? What is the temperature directly under that bulb during the day?
4. You've found the right place for current and correct tortoise info, but be prepared to be confused by the contradictory info you'll here elsewhere. We've been doing it wrong for decades, and outside of this forum, most tortoise keepers have not kept up on the advances in tortoise care and understanding. We will help and we're happy to explain.

Glad you found us! :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
So, can tortoises eat avocado? Tortoises should not be fed avocado under any circumstances. It should not be fed, in even in small amounts or even infrequently to any species. This is because avocados contain an anti-fungal compound called Persin. This is highly toxic to many animals, including tortoises. Consumption of Persin can cause organ failure whereas in extreme cases it has been known to cause death.!!!!!!!!!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Buy some Spring Mix cut it up small add some weeds or dried flowers. Find out what his diet was previously and feed that, making it more healthy over time