New Turf

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
So I've just bought a house (feeling extremely grown up) and I have already planned my tortoise's new outdoor pen, and I'm already growing plants for the move.
Then, I thought, it's a new build and the turf will be brand new. My tortoise, being outside, eats a lot of grass on the lawn in my current house, is she going to be able to eat the new turf? Isn't it going to be treated? What on earth do I do?
I move in in 4 weeks...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats for your new house. For the grass part? I have no answer. Sorry. Just here to congratulating you for the new purchase.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I plant some a patch of grass in my back yard and the whole purpose of that patch of grass are for tortoise. I cut fresh grass daily and cut them into small pieces to feed baby torts and larger torts just eat and hide as they pleased. I never treat anything to it and just water it every day to make sure entire patch are moisturized so when tortoise hide in it they will have a micro humid hide.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I plant some a patch of grass in my back yard and the whole purpose of that patch of grass are for tortoise. I cut fresh grass daily and cut them into small pieces to feed baby torts and larger torts just eat and hide as they pleased. I never treat anything to it and just water it every day to make sure entire patch are moisturized so when tortoise hide in it they will have a micro humid hide.

Well currently all my garden is edible, and she grazes all over it. I never treat the grass with anything. I'm now thinking that freshly laid turf in the new house will certainly be treated with something and I'm not sure what I'm going to do seen as it'll be everywhere! :(

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
And if you plant new grass for your tort treat it with compost tea only it will feed your grass and enhance bio deverisity and it won't hurt the tort.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum