New UVB bulb seems really hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
We recently had to replace our UVB bulb as the other burned out. I did not originally purchase the bulb, rather it came with the torts when we adopted them. I know it was a smaller bulb. When I went to replace it all the reptile store had was a larger bulb ZooMed Powersun 160 W bulb. So I bought it thinking it wouldn't be all that different.

But what I've noticed is that it is significantly hotter and it almost seems too hot in that area of their enclosure now.

Would 160W be too much? It is placed approximately 14" above the substrate.

Thanks in advance.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, what size/type of enclosure are you using it for? Pics of enclosure? a 160 is way strong for sure....but the enclosure size/type has alot to do with if it is too strong or not.... :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tyrtle:

You can just raise the positioning of the bulb up higher. The tortoise will still have the benefit of the UV.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ditto^. 160 wattage is going to be a lot warmer. I say just raise it up. But photos of the enclosure would be nice too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only a thermometer can answer this question. Simply raise or lower the fixture and bulb to get the temperature you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.