New!

Angel_turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Saudi Arabia
Hi,
I was actually browsing through some stuff about turtles and found this.

I decided to download the app and get started.

I bought angel yesterday.

I wanted to give her a big enclosure but they had none [emoji53].

I hope some of you will give me advice to raise my turtle!

Thank you!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You probably have a Tortoise, not a turtle. Knowing what kind of tortoise you have would be the first step for people to give you some tips. Different species require different things. Can you post some pics?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm not the best at ID'ing them but it looks like some type of Hermann's tortoise. I'll let someone more experienced confirm that for you. Then you can take a look at the proper care sheets we have here. They usually give the wrong info at most pet shops too. Like the gravel I see in your pics, that's bad for them.

Angel_turtle

Saudi Arabia
I'm not the best at ID'ing them but it looks like some type of Hermann's tortoise. I'll let someone more experienced confirm that for you. Then you can take a look at the proper care sheets we have here. They usually give the wrong info at most pet shops too. Like the gravel I see in your pics, that's bad for them.

OH MY GOD [emoji50]
I was actually thinking to switch it to sand just in case
Thank you for telling me that

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
OH MY GOD [emoji50]
I was actually thinking to switch it to sand just in case
Thank you for telling me that
Sand isn't really good either, if they accidentally eat some it can cause impaction. Try to find Orchid bark, Coco Coir, or Cypress mulch.

Angel_turtle

Saudi Arabia
Sand isn't really good either, if they accidentally eat some it can cause impaction. Try to find Orchid bark, Coco Coir, or Cypress mulch.

Ok,
I would do anything to keep her healthy
(maybe its a girl or a boy but for now girl)
Thank you for al your help!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok,
I would do anything to keep her healthy
(maybe its a girl or a boy but for now girl)
Thank you for al your help!
Np, one thing you can start doing right away before you get her setup properly is start giving her soaks. Fill a small dish or tub with warm water about up to just under her neck and soak her for about 30 minutes. This will help get her properly hydrated.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What you have is a Russian tortoise, and your care needs to be changed ASAP.
Please give these a read immediately, and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Just a heads up, your tortoise will eventually need a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet. Right now what you have him in is WAY too small. He needs a minimum of a 40 gallon tank or tub, and that’ll last a few months. While he’s in that, start building an 8x4 foot tortoise table.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Actually i would like to know how to make an 8x4 tub

You can’t make an 8x4 foot tub, but you can make an 8x4 foot table. From my understanding, what you can do is buy two sheets of ply wood, and turn one into a base. Legs are optional. Then, cut two 16x96 inch strips, and cut the remaining 16x96 inch strip in half. You can use metal “L” things to connect the base to the sides, and the sides to each other, or you can make a frame out of wood and pin the sides on. I’ll go see if I can find a thread about it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You can’t make an 8x4 foot tub, but you can make an 8x4 foot table. From my understanding, what you can do is buy two sheets of ply wood, and turn one into a base. Legs are optional. Then, cut two 16x96 inch strips, and cut the remaining 16x96 inch strip in half. You can use metal “L” things to connect the base to the sides, and the sides to each other, or you can make a frame out of wood and pin the sides on. I’ll go see if I can find a thread about it.

Or from what I’m seeing, you can just glue and screw the sides together? I can’t seem to find a “how to”thread.