Hello from Master Roshi Twinkletoes in the Bronx,NY

Bonestock3

Location (City and/or State)
Bronx, NY
Hello all! After browsing for hours last nights and learning plenty I decided to join browse unabashed.

Bought my little Sulcata on straight COVID impulse- but they’re so adorable who could blame me. (I have a 4yr As my secondary excuse)

Bought a 10 gallon on the pet store recommendation but I soon realized it’s not enough, I’ll be browsing for fun ideas to create a cool home in my apartment. Feel free to drop links or hints of what could work while I source us some real land.

so far I’ve only been able to give it greens (romaine,kale and carrots), found hibiscus but it’s dried. I’ll be looking into potting my own grass via windowsill (once I learn more) but really wish I knew more now to give it a healthy and fulfilling diet. Any info is welcome. Thank you in advanced below are some pictures of Roshi

C97603DC-B3D9-412A-8066-FECA9E2C0C69.jpeg52A1A0C3-B906-4054-A85A-0531E2775AD1.jpeg022A8D4C-3E49-4956-A851-07C7502C37A4.jpeg

L

LasTortugasNinja

Make sure he's in a hot (80's), humid enclosure (70-80%). Babies need lots of attention.

Huge tortoise in NYC... well, I guess it works enough for a 30 year entertainment franchise. ;)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, great looking tort!
On what to eat, carrots are not the best for regular food. No fruits either, to much sugar. Sugar is not good for sulcata's. If you show us your enclosure we can can give you some advice. ( UVB light, heat source)
One important factor is a enclosure that can keep humidity in at 80%.
Humidity is crucial to stop pyramiding. Check out some pyramided sulcata's online. That's what you don't want.
So your enclosure will need to be closed to help keep heat and humidity in.
Check out the caresheets for sulcata's here on the forum.
Chances are what ever you got at the pet store is wrong.
I made the same mistake.
I didn't realize I was doing everything wrong until I found this forum.
Good luck and keep asking questions.

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
Thanks all for the prompt replies I will continue to browse and learn. I’ve have Roshi for about two weeks. Attached Are photos of his enclosure please feel free to let me know anything I can improve immediately while I source other materials or wait for any orders (thermometers) to upgrade it’s enclosure ASAP.

I switched the synthetic flooring for a natural mix and keep fresh spring water in the bowl. The light on the left is a night light and the right is a UVB bulb. The humidity fluctuates 60-80%

D3D719D7-7E8C-4796-AD03-4424546835BB.jpeg6FA8A4E1-A341-480D-BDC2-3C95CF9199A1.jpegD2DEF349-6B43-486B-861B-4E58068BDF90.jpegAF055DBE-3A03-4899-B201-781D74031232.jpeg

L

LasTortugasNinja

If the "night light" is a red light, switch it to a ceramic bowl. Tortoises can see red light, and it bugs them. Using them is outdated 90's science that has since been refuted. Tortoises can see colors well, and they see red lights as bright rosy sunlight that makes yucky woodchips look yummy and cause tummy problems.

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
If the "night light" is a red light, switch it to a ceramic bowl. Tortoises can see red light, and it bugs them. Using them is outdated 90's science that has since been refuted. Tortoises can see colors well, and they see red lights as bright rosy sunlight that makes yucky woodchips look yummy and cause tummy problems.
Got it! The bulb shines purple-ish, will upgrading to ceramic bowl hold/disperse heat better?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes get a CHE( ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat unless your dome has a dial for temp inline of the cord.
The other light if it's a CFL, coiled or looped tube. Those aren't good for their eyes. A Arcadia florescent type tube is best. A HO 5.0 light. You can get online.
The thermometer/ humidastat you are using are not accurate. Get a digital type and mount lower at the torts level. You will need a bigger enclosure soon. Some members have used tent like greenhouses.For now take tin foil and cover the top around the lights. That will help hold in the heat and humidity. When you get a new enclosure make sure you can incorporate the light and heat inside. The screen cover actually blocks the effectiveness of the UVB.
No lower than 80° and a basking spot of 95° and 80% humidity.
In the search window try greenhouse enclosure.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Is it that u have no room for a larger enclosure? That is way to small. The whole enclosure is a basking area.

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
Yes get a CHE( ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat unless your dome has a dial for temp inline of the cord.
The other light if it's a CFL, coiled or looped tube. Those aren't good for their eyes. A Arcadia florescent type tube is best. A HO 5.0 light. You can get online.
The thermometer/ humidastat you are using are not accurate. Get a digital type and mount lower at the torts level. You will need a bigger enclosure soon. Some members have used tent like greenhouses.For now take tin foil and cover the top around the lights. That will help hold in the heat and humidity. When you get a new enclosure make sure you can incorporate the light and heat inside. The screen cover actually blocks the effectiveness of the UVB.
No lower than 80° and a basking spot of 95° and 80% humidity.
In the search window try greenhouse enclosure.

I have 2 CHE’s In my cart (WUHOSTAM 2 PACK from Amazon) I’ll wait on the tube type bulbs while I draw up a better set up which might be a few weeks at best and know how I’ll incorporate them best.

Ordered a Digital Thermo/humidity monitor.

Bought wheatgrass and have been snipping off that, looking for prickly pear while I grow other grasses for main diet.

I let em loose in my room with the UVB affixed to “hang” so he can get those UVB rays. I “baby proof” it so he can roam

will cut holes on top of cover so that meanwhile there’s less restriction for his absorbption.

Attachments

• FABC3593-8E2F-491A-AFEC-8690F7772004.jpeg
    FABC3593-8E2F-491A-AFEC-8690F7772004.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 85B8F39F-804F-4684-A137-83943535BF3C.jpeg
    85B8F39F-804F-4684-A137-83943535BF3C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
Is it that u have no room for a larger enclosure? That is way to small. The whole enclosure is a basking area.

I can definitely have a set up 3x larger at least but the pet shop sold it and advised I get this, despite my showing interest in the 20gal to start. Currently in the process of making something much better- meanwhile he roams the room

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Roaming the room is a disaster waiting to happen ( even while being watched closely) to many things can go wrong.. impaction the biggest , but also floor temps are way to cold. Even a 20g will be way to small for that lil guy. Take a look at the enclosure threads on here and get some ideas. A lot of ppl here have very creative ideas .

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
Roaming the room is a disaster waiting to happen ( even while being watched closely) to many things can go wrong.. impaction the biggest , but also floor temps are way to cold. Even a 20g will be way to small for that lil guy. Take a look at the enclosure threads on here and get some ideas. A lot of ppl here have very creative ideas .
okay on the floor temps I do try to limit because of that. Re: impaction I read that Sulcatas walk around to help digestion, figured the tank might impede that but good to know

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
okay on the floor temps I do try to limit because of that. Re: impaction I read that Sulcatas walk around to help digestion, figured the tank might impede that but good to know
U are correct about the digestion.. thats y they need a nice large safe enclosure to roam around in.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Question… What is your end strategy for the little guy? I realize he's adorable. That's undebatable... but one day he's going to be massive. I'm not in New York, but I've seen it on tv... you have adequate area for an adult pasture? Sulcatas really don't strike me as good candidates for indoor pets.

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
U are correct about the digestion.. thats y they need a nice large safe enclosure to roam around in.
To be clear then how would his roaming here induce impaction?
Far as safety goes I remove any hazards from the way. Literally nothing that’ll fall on him.

Question… What is your end strategy for the little guy? I realize he's adorable. That's undebatable... but one day he's going to be massive. I'm not in New York, but I've seen it on tv... you have adequate area for an adult pasture? Sulcatas really don't strike me as good candidates for indoor pets.

One of two things- the most likely I’ll transport him to the Caribbean where I own land or I’ll source land here. I think it’s messed up the pet store wasn’t more upfront about his needs, in my case I’ll work it out in his benefit. Unfortunate for the torts whom owner can’t or won’t.. u go in a pet shop in NYC u expect an apartment friendly animal. Roshi won’t suffer for short sight though. That’s certain

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Far as safety goes I remove any hazards from the way. Literally nothing that’ll fall on him.

One of two things- the most likely I’ll transport him to the Caribbean where I own land or I’ll source land here. I think it’s messed up the pet store wasn’t more upfront about his needs, in my case I’ll work it out in his benefit. Unfortunate for the torts whom owner can’t or won’t.. u go in a pet shop in NYC u expect an apartment friendly animal. Roshi won’t suffer for short sight though. That’s certain
Can be many things.. from a dust bunny to a piece of hair. Trust me..theres been many disaster stories.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

If you need someone to watch Roshi in the Caribbean. I want to go!

Bonestock3

Bronx, NY
Can be many things.. from a dust bunny to a piece of hair. Trust me..theres been many disaster stories.
Alright that’s fair. I looked and there was a small fiber but looks like it could be from mulch/padding?

I’ll keep that in mind and scrutinously clean a section for him; Can’t just take those walks away from him now

How can I tell if it’s male or female ?
If you need someone to watch Roshi in the Caribbean. I want to go!
haha I’m sure I’ll be active here and seeking assistance as I build. I already wanted live animals on the property so this is a first start / real commitment to that