Tortoises at the Bronx Zoo in NY

WillB

Location (City and/or State)
New York City
My wife and I went to the Bronx Zoo last weekend in New York. They have quite a variety of tortoises on display. I believed we' saw redfoots, aldabras, spider tortoises, egyptians, radiated, bell's hingeback tortoises, and pancake tortoises. The Bronx Zoo has the most variety of tortoises I've seen from any zoo I've visited so far.

They DO house their hatchlings in a wet enclosed chamber so that's nice and I didn't see too many pyramiding on the tortoises. Their reptile collection is nice. If any members is ever in New York and is looking for something fun to do I highly recommend!

IMG_2663.jpgIMG_2667.jpgIMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2672.jpgIMG_2670.jpgIMG_2654.jpg

WillB

New York City
Can't agree more lol! Tim, I stood in front of the Aldabras for a good 10 minute straight and other visitors are trying to see if they missed anything in the range they didn't see. Nope, I'm just staring at the same tortoise for 10 minutes!

sheldo

hawaii
I want to go here so badly but I live in Hawaii and also I don't think I could find someone to watch sheldo.

sheldo

hawaii
You live in Hawaii, I don't feel sorry for you. Lol
no dont get me wrong great place to raise a tortoise but there isnt many places to go beside that one disney hotel on the other side of the island i live on and even if i wanted to go i have no one to watch sheldo

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I went to the Tampa zoo in 2019 and got the upgrade package for the sloth and aldabras. So worth it and that is a Galopogos juvenile butt! Wife was too busy petting aldabras to take a photo. Sadly they could use abigger pen but otherwise doing well. Sloth is sport animal- they can sleep with food in their mouth

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2341.jpg
    IMG_2341.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I spent almost all my time at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney just mesmerised by the Komodo Dragon! Blown away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
no dont get me wrong great place to raise a tortoise but there isnt many places to go beside that one disney hotel on the other side of the island i live on and even if i wanted to go i have no one to watch sheldo
That's the island, Oahu, we have vacationed on many times. Love it there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
its good in some areas just never go to the home areas and business areas to many hobos
Funny you say that. The only time we ran across some "hobos" was years ago on Waikiki, before it got built up the way it is now. I don't like what they did to it, so we have been going to the North Shore to stay.

sheldo

hawaii
Funny you say that. The only time we ran across some "hobos" was years ago on Waikiki, before it got built up the way it is now. I don't like what they did to it, so we have been going to the North Shore to stay.
ok that's nice North Shore is a nice place to go surfing.

sheldo

hawaii
But who watches Sheldo when you're surfing?
I only go for a little when I say go to the hotel or somewhere i meant for a couple of days i would go there if i could but i only go for a little when i go surfing.
i could ask my friend Keahi to watch him but I don't think he would want to he isn't that big of a tortoise fan.