Newbie coco coir help please

Louise66

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes uk
image.png Hi everyone,
Could you help with my substrate please. After being advised I have been using coco coir as substrate . Its been in just over two,weeks now and the top seems very dry and loose. After one week i took everything out and added a lot more water. When i pick it up and squeeze my hand is damp but the top keeps looking like the desert. I am afraid it will get into my little hermanns respiratory system. I will post a picture of what i am using. I would welcome any comments .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What does your enclosure look like, do you have a lid present? It sounds to me like things are not quite set up correctly. Coir not damp enough, or heat source too close, or no lid, or other.

Upload a pix of your enclosure and describe how you are heating and lighting.

Good luck!

Louise66

Milton Keynes uk
What does your enclosure look like, do you have a lid present? It sounds to me like things are not quite set up correctly. Coir not damp enough, or heat source too close, or no lid, or other.

Upload a pix of your enclosure and describe how you are heating and lighting.

Good luck!
Hi ,
I ha e shown a picture of my enclosure before, will show again . All seemed okay before. It is open topped as was advised with a hermann. It los smaller in the picture it measures 100 cm length. The light/heat is hanging from a chain with temp under it 30c. Even the cool end is dry. 20190816_122034.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of coco coir. If that were my enclosure I'd leave the coir as is, but I'd add a top layer of fir bark, which I would mist or spritz with water every morning.

Louise66

Milton Keynes uk
I'm not a big fan of coco coir. If that were my enclosure I'd leave the coir as is, but I'd add a top layer of fir bark, which I would mist or spritz with water every morning.
Oh okay will check that out. Does my set up photo look okay to you other than that?