Newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey all, just signed up because I have a few questions.

I have been doing research and I definitely want a tortoise I have 5 acres of field in my backyard some of which is easily courted off for any size tortoise. (along with coming inside during the cold/stormy days/nights)

I can have heat accomidations, and all else that is needed.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and I heard that the Sulcata can only withstand a minimum temperature of 60F well... most summer nights dont even warm up to 60 ha ha

I can have special heat, and I am prepared to bring him/her inside If/when i get him but I still have a question.

I am debating whether to get a Sulcata or a Burmese Mountain Tortoise.

I really like them both but the BM tortoise can withstand a minimum temp of 55F I know its only five degrees but every last bit counts. I would probably bring him in before it got that low anyway.

But I would prefer the Sulcata size....

So say I live in the seattle washington area... but it rains more and gets colder because I am south of puget sound.

Do you think I would be able to get a Sulcata in this climate? I am all ready and have no problem bringing him inside the house for the night or even weeks at a time, but generally Im looking for an outside home for him set with all the safety features and everything he could need.

Just wondering if I should just go with the hardier Burmese mt. tortoise or stick with the sulcata (the mt tortoise is proving to be very difficult to find, I think I found a breeder but I he isn't returning my calls)

Anyway

Thanks all in advance,

-Heather

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Heather said:
the mt tortoise is proving to be very difficult to find, I think I found a breeder but I he isn't returning my calls)
-Heather

That sounds just like Vic in Florida! I don't know how he manages to sell any babies with his call-returning habits!! LOL!

My sister lives in Corvallis, OR. She has box turtles, a russian tortoise and a couple of sulcatas. The sulcatas have a heated shed outside with a doggy door and they live outside 24/7. However, because of the weather, she has to herd them back into the shed frequently. Desert-type tortoises can be kept in the cooler, wetter climates, but it costs the keeper a little more to make them a habitat that keeps them healthy. As long as you can provide the tortoise with a habitat and artificial climate similar to what the animal has evolved to live in, it doesn't matter what kind of tortoise you get. Just bear in mind that you need to give your Sulcata a warm, rain-free enclosure that is large enough for him to get exercise, or to provide your Burmese tortoise with a warm, rain-forest-type enclosure that is large enough for him to get enough exercise. It is my OPINION that tortoises are still wild animals. They haven't gone through years and years of human intervention making them domesticated animals. And as a wild animal, a tortoise MUST have access to living outside as much as is possible. So, you have the tortoise in his heated shed and the sun decides to shine. You have to go out there and let him out to be in the sun. But in 20 minutes, a rain cloud passes over and you have to go back out and herd him back into the shed. Like I said, you CAN keep a tortoise in the frozen north/west, but it isn't easy. It takes a lot of work to keep him healthy and happy.

Yvonne

(And just because all the literature says you can keep a Burmese tortoise in cooler weather, doesn't mean they actually LIKE the cooler weather. They come from a very warm and moist part of the world. Its just that they are a little more cold hardy than a desert-type tortoise.)

floridajake

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I grew up in Everett, WA and kept box turtles as a kid. Here in South Florida sulcatas are extremely easy because they can stay outdoors year round and feed themselves with the fast growing grass and weeds. I would think sulcatas would be very challenging in the Northwest, although there as so many different microclimates there depending on where you are in relation to the mountains. You mentioned it gets both cold and wet, which is a recipe for URI. He wouldn't get to enjoy your 5 acres much if he was always confined to a heated shed. If you decide on a sulcata, consider adopting one. You sound like you would be devoted and go the extra mile to make a tort happy.

You probably checked here already, but just in case...

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=610665

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=629958

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=632755

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=623736

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=631918

M

Maggie Cummings

Hey Heather...
I live in Oregon and keep 2 Sulcata. Bob is 13 yrs and 65 pounds and Tony is 4 yrs. and 12 pounds. They have their own heated shed complete with a tort table for Tony (he has a vision problem) and a private sleeping box for Bob. You can keep Sulcata in the great Pacific NorthWest, it just takes some work and dedication to getting them out into the sun whenever possible.

Heather

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you everybody!
Ok so if I understand correctly, I can have a Sulcata in my area but it will be a little tricky to play with the heat.

I would really love to have a Sulcata I just don't want too much stress on him from going outside then inside then outside and the temperature changing constantly.

If you decide on a sulcata, consider adopting one.
I wanted to adopt one but the herp society here spays/nueters all their pets, and I don't beleive in it. I know why they do it and I don't intend to breed but I just don't beleive in altering animals that way, but I am still looking on craigslist and such for one that needs a good home.

That sounds just like Vic in Florida! I don't know how he manages to sell any babies with his call-returning habits!! LOL!
Ha ha! I have contacted Vic by email and that was no problem but the prices are just out there, I know its a good deal what he is selling for but I wanted to find something a little more local to save on shipping. The guy I am trying to contact now his name is Jerry and he is in the Seattle area.

And I think I can manage the Sulcata but it will be a lot of work. Anything to make him happy :D

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
i know most push the idea of adopting: taking in an animal that hasnt been raised properly. but what about buying? i would love to care for a tort from hatchling size on. rescue them from the tiny pet store jails they live in and give them a good life from the get go intead of having to adopt the same tort five years from now when the teen that got him finally ran out of room in his tiny 20 gal aquarium. dont get me wrong, i will adopt a desert tort in the future, but i think that rescuing those helpless hatchlings from going to an un-informed home BEFORE they go through years of abuse is just as important to me if not more so. prevent all together is the idea im having here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
By buying them at pet stores its just supporting them and they will buy more to sell to the un-informed. Vicious circle. I'd rather see a good responsible breeder who knows what they are doing and educates the buyer and doenst sell to pet stores.. ( like puppy mills) get the $. Or rescue.. They get all ages and sizes..
and desert torts you can only get thru rescue.. not a pet store. ;-)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Heather said:
I wanted to adopt one but the herp society here spays/nueters all their pets, and I don't beleive in it. I know why they do it and I don't intend to breed but I just don't beleive in altering animals that way, but I am still looking on craigslist and such for one that needs a good home.

I really doubt that they spay or neuter the tortoises. This is a major operation on a tortoise and would be almost life threatening and quite expensive.

Yvonne

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
Laura said:
By buying them at pet stores its just supporting them and they will buy more to sell to the un-informed. Vicious circle. I'd rather see a good responsible breeder who knows what they are doing and educates the buyer and doenst sell to pet stores.. ( like puppy mills) get the $. Or rescue.. They get all ages and sizes..
and desert torts you can only get thru rescue.. not a pet store. ;-)

i thought about that, but the real world is different than common sense: where i live you can go to the local swap meet (flea market) and buy a red ear slider for $5 including small tank. sulcatas are anywhere from $40 and up. the people who sell them are small stores that have really no idea on the requirements of a tort. they are not knowledgeable breeders, nor are they even well informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.