(sick?) Sulcata Tortoise Question

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
So sorry to hear. I have ducks and one day one was bubbling at the mouth and vomiting. I found out the neibor had put out snail bait the snail crawled in my yard and duck ate the snail and poison

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
One last question for the evening, some of you suggested to soak him in water with baby food (carrot), I have organic carrot juice that also contains fruits, would that be something I could add into some water for this evening and soak him? Or would the fruit make it not great to do.
I wouldn't with a fruit mix, but making your own baby food with a pureed carrot it pretty easy. I did it for my kids when they were little on occasion.

Edit to add*

Found a recipe, there is really nothing to it. I wouldn't make this much unless you plan on freezing it.

1 poundcarrots (about 6 carrots), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices

1. Place carrot in a vegetable steamer. Steam, covered, 20 minutes or until very tender. Remove carrot from steamer, reserving cooking liquid.

2. Place carrot in a food processor; process until smooth, adding cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.

Easy Freezing This recipe is based on 1/4-cup serving sizes. If you freeze batches in ice-cube trays, one cube usually holds 2 tablespoons. We recommend defrosting just one cube when baby is new to solid food. Later on when baby has started eating more, defrost two to four cubes (2 to 4 ounces or 1/4 to 1/2 cup).

Mike A

Just relax, keep him warm and hydrated, and make sure you pay attention to what he is doing, eating etc. so you can answer the vets questions when you see him. He will likely outlive us all! They are pretty resilient buggers!
So, I've been watching him extremely well, Soaking him every few hours, giving him a little extra heat at night and during the day. Today while I was sitting here, he began eating some of his hay. I gave him some shredded carrots and he ate them all up. Right now I soaked some hay in water with calcium powder and he's eating! :D

He didn't throw up last night or show any signs of being sick. I want to say you were right about him maybe eating something that had a toxin that upset him. I'm going to keep an eye on him today and see if he needs anymore medical attention. I really appreciate everyone's help in this thread!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
So, I've been watching him extremely well, Soaking him every few hours, giving him a little extra heat at night and during the day. Today while I was sitting here, he began eating some of his hay. I gave him some shredded carrots and he ate them all up. Right now I soaked some hay in water with calcium powder and he's eating! :D

He didn't throw up last night or show any signs of being sick. I want to say you were right about him maybe eating something that had a toxin that upset him. I'm going to keep an eye on him today and see if he needs anymore medical attention. I really appreciate everyone's help in this thread!
That is great news! Stick around and keep the updates coming. There is a lot of fantastic information here, not just for when they aren't feeling well.

Mike A

That is great news! Stick around and keep the updates coming. There is a lot of fantastic information here, not just for when they aren't feeling well.
Will do! I would definitely like to stick around, this is a very helpful forum. I'm going to be relocating shortly from Florida to the north west, so I'd love to take a look at some enclosure ideas for when it's winter time. My tortoise and I are very lucky to be living in Florida at the moment. :)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Will do! I would definitely like to stick around, this is a very helpful forum. I'm going to be relocating shortly from Florida to the north west, so I'd love to take a look at some enclosure ideas for when it's winter time. My tortoise and I are very lucky to be living in Florida at the moment. :)
Good to hear! So, when do you get to see pics of your tort? ;)

Mike A

Let me take some pictures of him, he just got over being sick so he may not be the most photogenic tortoise :p
http://imgur.com/a/MvJYs#0
Here's two picture of him, the one inside was just taken. He seems to rather be roaming around the house right now than in his enclosure. The other picture is of him outside. I was concerned about what looks like pyramiding on his shell. He's always seemed to have a good diet, aside from a tomato or two every week. Are their shells supposed to be completely smooth? I was never certain if there will always be slight pyramiding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you housing your tortoise? What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low? What equipment are you using to accomplish this?

It is possible that this is due to him ingesting a toxic plant, but its also possible that it is due to cooler temperatures or stress. No need to soak more than 30 minutes once or twice a day.