weekly feeding schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Myrtle Beach SC
Am I feeding Franklin T. (Sulcata) right he is 2 1/2?
This is what I feed him.
Monday- Spring Mix
Tuesday- Romaine Lettuce
Wednesday- I let him just graze in the yard
Thursday- Spring Mix
Friday- Romaine Lettuce
Saturday- I let him just graze in the yard
Sunday - Muzuri and Spring Mix
He always has Timothy hay as much as he wants. (I don't think he eats its)
He grazes every day.
I give him vegtables as I cook them. I don't cook his. Fresh squash, collards, carrots, Cucumber, and tomatoes- just a little it like a small treat.
Also, I treat him with a fruit on occasion- maybe once a week
I do not feed him Catcus because they do not sale it in my area.
Does this sound ok?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds just fine. As long as your baby is eating grass outside, then whatever you offer him over and above that is great.

I buy a bag of Spring mix and a bag of Santa Barbara mix. I take the scissors out to the yard and cut some mulberry leaves, grape leaves, any weeds I can find, clover, etc.

Then I take a handful of santa barbara mix on the cutting board, and chop it all up and put it in a large Tupperware bowl. Then I chop up a handful of the outside leaves and weeds. Then a handful of spring mix. I keep going back and forth like this among the different types of food I'm using until the bowl is full.

With the lid on tightly, this large bowl of food lasts about 3 days in the fridge, and three days is how long it takes for me to use the bowl up feeding the babies.

One day a week I offer moistened Mazuri. And occasionally I'll add chopped zucchini or crook-neck squash to the bowl.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Cactus is a very good source of fiber and nutrients for sulcata tortoises. I think it should be an essential part of their diet. You can always grow it in a large pot. It needs sun and very low moisture, so it can be planted on a patio. No snow or high moisture. It will take some time to grow, but is easy to grow and takes very little care. You just need to get some pads from someone and you can stick them in sandy soil and water just occasionally. If you start now you will someday have a regular source of your own. Allthough I have opuntia in my yard it is the thorny type and takes a little more preparation. So, I am growing three other types (that are thornless) in pots which will eventually be planted in the ground. My favorite right now I get from "DorisViola' on ebay, they are thin and will be good for babies (but ask her NOT to scrub them first). The others are thicker pads that can be skinned more easily now and are meatier, but will be good for older torts. I get those from my neighbors yard, but have seen them for sale from forum members. Good luck. If you need more advice on planting them just ask.

FranklinTturtle

5 Year Member
Myrtle Beach SC
emysemys said:
It sounds just fine. As long as your baby is eating grass outside, then whatever you offer him over and above that is great.

I buy a bag of Spring mix and a bag of Santa Barbara mix. I take the scissors out to the yard and cut some mulberry leaves, grape leaves, any weeds I can find, clover, etc.

Then I take a handful of santa barbara mix on the cutting board, and chop it all up and put it in a large Tupperware bowl. Then I chop up a handful of the outside leaves and weeds. Then a handful of spring mix. I keep going back and forth like this among the different types of food I'm using until the bowl is full.

With the lid on tightly, this large bowl of food lasts about 3 days in the fridge, and three days is how long it takes for me to use the bowl up feeding the babies.

One day a week I offer moistened Mazuri. And occasionally I'll add chopped zucchini or crook-neck squash to the bowl.

Thanks, I am going to check into the Santa barbara mix I am not fimilar with it. I hope they do sell it in this area. My grass he grazes on is centipede I hope that is ok. I also have some grape vines so I will make sure that he gets some of the leaves. I need to check into planting a mulberry tree or bush (not sure). He does have a few Hibucus bushes he eats on as he pleases.
Thanks Again for your help. Please forgive grammer!!
Jessica

DesertGrandma said:
Cactus is a very good source of fiber and nutrients for sulcata tortoises. I think it should be an essential part of their diet. You can always grow it in a large pot. It needs sun and very low moisture, so it can be planted on a patio. No snow or high moisture. It will take some time to grow, but is easy to grow and takes very little care. You just need to get some pads from someone and you can stick them in sandy soil and water just occasionally. If you start now you will someday have a regular source of your own. Allthough I have opuntia in my yard it is the thorny type and takes a little more preparation. So, I am growing three other types (that are thornless) in pots which will eventually be planted in the ground. My favorite right now I get from "DorisViola' on ebay, they are thin and will be good for babies (but ask her NOT to scrub them first). The others are thicker pads that can be skinned more easily now and are meatier, but will be good for older torts. I get those from my neighbors yard, but have seen them for sale from forum members. Good luck. If you need more advice on planting them just ask.

Thanks Joy. That is one of my biggest fears getting stuck by a catcus. I bet it hurts. I am going to put you on my buddy list (hope you don't mind) because I am thinking about planting some. Also, my neighbor does have some catcus and I wonder if it is the eating kind. I will send you a picture.
Thanks Alot
Jessica

Status
Not open for further replies.