Newbie Question

Leeanna

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and a new tort owner! I have 2 female horsefields and noticed this morning that one was biting the other one? Is this normal? They normally get on fine! Any advice welcome as I'm so worried one of them will get hurt :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Leeanna:

Welcome to the world of aggressive Horsfield's tortoises! They just don't do well in pairs. I'll bet the one who is doing the biting is the male, right?

You're going to have to either set up another totally separate habitat, or find a new home for one of them. Once they start bullying, it doesn't go away.

I have seen female Horsefield's tortoises with no eyelids, bloody front legs from having their leg scales bitten off. Russian tortoises, for their small size, are terrible little devils. In the wild, they live alone. They chase other tortoises out of their territory. They don't want a companion.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Unfortunatly you seem to have a "bully" issue. Probably time to seperate them. Russians can be very agressive towards each other.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Yes, one will get hurt or die.

If both are female, they are trying to dominate the territory.

One could be male and ready to encourage mating.

They need separate enclosures.

Leeanna

5 Year Member
They are both so young, but I'm guessing one of them might be a male! Im absolutely gutted :( x

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Newbie Question

Leeanna said:
Im absolutely gutted :( x

Why?
Can you separate them or will you have to rehome one?

I had a 1:3 group that had to be split up. (1 male, 3 females) they sure are a scrappy species! Yours will be much happier once they rule their own Kingdoms.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leeanna said:
They are both so young, but I'm guessing one of them might be a male! Im absolutely gutted :( x

Nobody warned you of this when you bought a pair of russians? I'm sorry. I'd let the seller know how upset your are about this deception.

Leeanna

5 Year Member
I think I have to re-home one I don't really have the space for another habitat! We weren't told this when we got Tallulah, in fact he assured us they would both be perfectly fine! There hasn't been any aggressiveness since I wrote on here but I guess it won't just stop and will happen again?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leeanna said:
I think I have to re-home one I don't really have the space for another habitat! We weren't told this when we got Tallulah, in fact he assured us they would both be perfectly fine! There hasn't been any aggressiveness since I wrote on here but I guess it won't just stop and will happen again?

Yes it will. And its been happening since day one. Even if you aren't seeing overt attacks, they still do not want to be in each others territory.

Where are you? We have members all over the country who can help find a good home for one of yours.

Are you sure you cant just set up another enclosure? We have all sorts of tips on how to do it right AND cheap at the same time. You can use a large plastic tote or a cement mixing tub from the hardware store for about $12. $2 for a terra cotta water dish, and $2 for a nice humid hide from Walmart. $12 bucks for a light fixture, $4-6 dollars for a basking bulb. $10 for a light timer. You can use your thermometer from your existing enclosure to make sure temps are good. You can find rocks and logs from outside and boil them to clean and disinfect.

Whatever you decide, we will try our best to help you.

I'd love to know where you got them. The seller needs an education.

Leeanna

5 Year Member
I'm in the UK... And can't bare the thought of re-homing one of them! Got so attached to each of them. My husband is going back to the seller this week and asking a few questions! I don't want to see either of them unhappy! I'm hoping to try and find some room and hopefully won't have to re-home one of them. Thanks for your help Tom!

jaclyn

I'm the same, I got 2 together and I'm hoping they stay friends. I would hate to have to re home mine. If not my other half had better getting building me another enclosure [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Cutva

5 Year Member
Hopefully you don't have to regime one! I am worried about my three little guys!