Littlelady56

Location (City and/or State)
Tremonton, UT
I'm new to turtles and to this group. I've had a lot of questions I was going to ask but tonight there is just one. One of my 3-toed box turtles has wandered off. I have spent almost 7 hours crying and looking for him. My question is, assuming he isn't hurt, will he come home?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I lost my Russian tortoise twice. I made flyers and left them at neighbors doors and I used the neighborhood social media called Nextdoor. I also did a lot of looking. They tend to come out to bask in the mornings so it's a good time to look. Also check under and around plants. He was eventually returned to me when a nighbor spotted him 4 blocks from my home. Luckily their neighbor had seen my post on Nextdoor. Don't give up and alert your neighbors. Also tell everyone to watch their step and be careful mowing lawns. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles are territorial, and if this box turtle is new to you, then chances are he's NOT coming back to your territory, but rather, he's going to try to go back to his previous territory.

Littlelady56

Tremonton, UT
Box turtles are territorial, and if this box turtle is new to you, then chances are he's NOT coming back to your territory, but rather, he's going to try to go back to his previous territory.
Fortunately...I found him this morning {just a few minutes ago} cuddled under a tree where I had looked a million times since 4pm yesterday. First time I've seen him totally closed up in his shell. He was really cold and acted lethargic. Took him a long time to get moving his arms and legs and he has drank water like no other. Have him in the inside habitat with the heat lamp on. Good to know they're territorial, though.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Fortunately...I found him this morning {just a few minutes ago} cuddled under a tree where I had looked a million times since 4pm yesterday. First time I've seen him totally closed up in his shell. He was really cold and acted lethargic. Took him a long time to get moving his arms and legs and he has drank water like no other. Have him in the inside habitat with the heat lamp on. Good to know they're territorial, though.

That's great news!

Littlelady56

Tremonton, UT
I lost my Russian tortoise twice. I made flyers and left them at neighbors doors and I used the neighborhood social media called Nextdoor. I also did a lot of looking. They tend to come out to bask in the mornings so it's a good time to look. Also check under and around plants. He was eventually returned to me when a nighbor spotted him 4 blocks from my home. Luckily their neighbor had seen my post on Nextdoor. Don't give up and alert your neighbors. Also tell everyone to watch their step and be careful mowing lawns. Good luck!
Hahaha! I had already told my husband he was never mowing the lawn again. I didn't care if we had the only jungle in the neighborhood!

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Good news. Don't overheat him. Box turtles are native to the USA, so don't need as much heat as other reptiles. Mine actually live outdoors all year round. i'm glad you found your turtle.