Celticgyrl

Location (City and/or State)
Dundee Scotland uk
Hi I’m Lesley from Dundee uk. I will search through the threads for answers before I post anything. I used to have a tortoise when I was a teenager and have just recently bought a 1year old horse field. Thank you for accepting me on the forum

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpeg
    IMG_0517.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. If you started your search, then you know that substrate has to go. It should never be used for any reptile
Orchid or Fir bark should be used.
Also he looks very dry, give him a good warm soak and get some humidity in his enclosure. 30-50% for adults, 80 for 3 and under.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

_The_Beast_

Canada
Welcome! I recently adopted a Horsfield as well (though I'm in NA so they're more frequently called Russians here). My little one is three months old 🙂

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Does your tortoise have a name?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, I hope Storm Isha hasn't developed into tornados that are possible in Scotland tonight!
There is a great thread under FAQs - Information for new people which covers all the do's and don'ts and explains everything you need to know. It also includes a caresheet for Temperate/Mediterranean species (which you'll also find it in the Species specific section)
There is a lot of old information still being passed on by some websites, breeders and especially pet shops whose main aim is to make profit by selling unsuitable and often unsafe equipment, but this forum is full of up to date advice which should help your tort thrive if you follow it as closely as possible. So read those but please also ask as many questions as you like and check here before buying stuff you may not need.
One of the things I spotted in your pic was the pellets you are using for substrate - they are too dry for torts and go mouldy which can cause respiratory problems, but if you read the caresheets they will give you much better options.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I’m Lesley from Dundee uk. I will search through the threads for answers before I post anything. I used to have a tortoise when I was a teenager and have just recently bought a 1year old horse field. Thank you for accepting me on the forum
You had a tortoise when you were a teenager and now you have grandchildren??? Holy cow! That's a long tie away from tortoises! I'm glad you are back!

If you click the link that Alex left in post number 5 above and take a few minutes to read through all of that, it will help explain why there is so much confusing and conflicting information.

Celticgyrl

Dundee Scotland uk
Hi and welcome, I hope Storm Isha hasn't developed into tornados that are possible in Scotland tonight!
There is a great thread under FAQs - Information for new people which covers all the do's and don'ts and explains everything you need to know. It also includes a caresheet for Temperate/Mediterranean species (which you'll also find it in the Species specific section)
There is a lot of old information still being passed on by some websites, breeders and especially pet shops whose main aim is to make profit by selling unsuitable and often unsafe equipment, but this forum is full of up to date advice which should help your tort thrive if you follow it as closely as possible. So read those but please also ask as many questions as you like and check here before buying stuff you may not need.
One of the things I spotted in your pic was the pellets you are using for substrate - they are too dry for torts and go mouldy which can cause respiratory problems, but if you read the caresheets they will give you much better options.
Hi I’m not using pellets, what I have are beech chips and coconut coir under the chips. Tommy likes to burrow in them. I’ve got a question about food!!, can Tommy have sprouts?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi I’m not using pellets, what I have are beech chips and coconut coir under the chips. Tommy likes to burrow in them. I’ve got a question about food!!, can Tommy have sprouts?
Apologies they look like pellets in your picture.

If you look at the tortoise table link I sent you www.thetortoisetable.org.uk that will advise you on what can and shouldn't be fed and why and lists Brussel sprouts here https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=681&c=8

As you can see it's all colour coded with symbols which tells you which parts of plants to use e.g, leaves, flower to use. It's a great guide and I use it all the time to check what's safe.