Status
Not open for further replies.

sjones5254

5 Year Member
I just wanted to introduce myself. I am adopting a sulcata here in a few weeks. I already have a heated shed. A half acre 6' ft fenced in yard for him. And am looking to learn all i can about them. He is supposed to be 38 pounds dont know much more yet. I am rescuing him from MATTS adoption. I also have a great exotic vet as i own 4 sugar gliders as well.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Welcome to the forum! There is TONS of information here on sulcatas! Don't forget to post pics when you get him! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi!!! Welcome to the site and it sounds like to the tortoise world. This is your first tortoise right? Wow you are stepping in with both feet taking on a sulcata at that age. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome creatures and I have two a little larger then yours is. I love them dearly, but they do present special challenges. It's great that you are rescuing this guy. :tort:

P.S. I hope it was okay with you, that I moved your post into this section.

sjones5254

5 Year Member
Thank you very much :) Yes this is my first tortise but i am up for the challenge. I currently rescue sugar gliders and let me tell you they can have a bad temper especially the older ones. Millbreeders come in our area often and then after a few months people are looking to rehome them when they find out how much work they are. My biggest question is diet? I have seen alot of different diets on what to fed him. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sjones5254:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Welcome, sounds like the Sulcata's going to have a pretty awesome place of residence!

sjones5254

5 Year Member
i hope so :) im trying to make sure everything is perfect before we get him. I just am not sure on diet? I dont mind preparing food as i have to for my gliders their ratio is 50% protein, 25% fruit and 25% veggies. I see of course tortises are quite different but they can eat alot of the same foods i see on the list as well as alot of the same flowers and trees.

sjones5254

5 Year Member
i hope so :) I want to make sure everything is perfect before he comes to me. I am confused on diet though

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I sulcata should only be getting things like fruit as a treat. Hays are good to see if you can get yours eating, since it is a "teenager". Not alfalfa, but more types like orchard grass (my personal favorite), timothy grass is another. Weeds and grasses are also great. Let's see, if I can find a listing of some choices for you. I think Tom's hatchling thread may cover it, but let me check. Some feeding of Mazuri will help, too.

Have you scanned thru the sulcata section?

This is from Tom's hatchling thread, but it will give you a starting point:

"Food: Weeds; mallow, filaree, dandelion, sow thistle, plantain, etc... Grass. Mulberry, rose, hibiscus and grape leaves. Hibiscus and rose flowers. Spineless opuntia cactus. Mazuri mixed in with other greens a couple of times a week. Spring mix and leafy greens from the grocery store. Variety is good. Avoid fruit, and use foods like spinach, broccoli, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, very infrequently, if ever. When they get big, over a foot, you can try to introduce dry grass hay. But babies usually won't eat it."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To save a small fortune on food, grass and if you can hay should be a majority of your diet, also if you can grow food for him, that would be great on your pocket book. My sulcata gets a variety of food i grow myself, hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves radish tops, various squash leaves and flowers, plus he loves to eat St. augustine grass, have not gotten him hooked on any type of hay yet.

sjones5254

5 Year Member
I dont plan on feeding fruits except as a treat. Im just trying to get the ratios correct before i get him so i know hes getting a good balanced diet. Most foods are high in ph and low in calcium. I know for my gliders i have to do a 2:1 ratio. Im trying to figure out what ratio he would need and what percent of what to feed

Status
Not open for further replies.