Newby here

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickymills

5 Year Member
hi guys, i;m due to get 2 hermans, the end of the week, and have been doing loads of research, but i;m getting in a tiz lol

I've already got my table sorted, i'm going to use a combine uv and heat lamp, but, i;ve been told to use soil and sand 50/50, but have read on here some people use other stuff. Can i have some feed back please?

I am also getting myslelf confused about what greens etc to feed them. From some of the posts on here, i take it you are all not from the uk, so i don't recognise some of the greens.

I'm just being a worry wort, but want their home to be the best :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! While I am not from the UK, so I can't give you actual names (except for Rocket :D), there are indeed others who can give you suggestions. I do use and like the sand and coir mixture better then anything I have tried. I only use about 20% sand, however. If you keep your animals healthy and hydrated, there will be no sand compaction problems and after all, sand is a component of soil any how. :rolleyes: Welcome to TFO and I can't wait to see your new ones, when you get them. :D :tort:

nickymills

5 Year Member
thanks guys. I can't wait to meet them lol. Have wanted a tortie for years, but the time just didn't seem right.xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi nickymills:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Nicky?

nickymills

5 Year Member
just another quick question, sorry lol

Have been given a list of foods i can feed my girls, but wanted to run it by you guys first

broccoli
leek
carrot
parsnip
pumpkin
suede
cabbage
sprouts
beans
sweetcorn
squash
califlower
kale
bok choy.

are these ok? i;m going to get some seeds for weeds, and grow them myself, but wanted some other foods to feed them whilst i;m waiting for them to grow.

I;m off to the garden centre to get some african voilet, air plant (tillandsia) and heartleaf iceplant, which i believe i can plant in their enclosure?

sorry for going on, just want the best for my babies xxxxxxxxxx

nickymills

5 Year Member
a guy at our local pet shop, but, he is really good with reptiles etc. he isn't your usual pushy sales man.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What kind of a plant is suede? Here it is a type of leather. :D

If he gave you that list, I would say he could do a much better one. Most of those would fall into my category of only an occasional feeding. Did he not tell you of any greens to feed? Any way to get some safe weeds?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Hi Nicky, and welcome!

I'm from the UK, too, and have a Hermann's. Where abouts do you live?

As a starting point, I'd recommend this website for looking up plants. It's great for learning what you have in your local area, and you can quickly pick up what's good and what's bad. I walked around my own garden, identified what Emrys could have and what he couldn't, and I now know so I can just run outside and grab the food without thinking. It's also great when you're in a garden centre and trying to work out what you can plant and what you can't:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

I mostly feed Emrys on garden weeds - clover, dandelion and Welsh poppy are his favourites (dock leaves and buttercup are the two plants I avoid in my garden), but I also try and mix it up with shop-bought stuff. His foods never cost a lot, and I usually call in to Tesco in the evening and grab reduced items at 10p each. Carrots are good, left relatively thick so your torts have to grind their beaks to break them, but Emrys isn't keen. I feed rocket and spring mix (apparently most people struggle to find anything called Spring Mix in this country, but I found it in Tesco!). I've not tried swede or parsnip myself yet, but I give tomatoes as a monthly treat as he loves them.

I also keep a cuttlefish in his enclosure at all times, so he's got his own source of calcium and, of course, fresh water. I've also taken to staring at the plants everyone else owns on the way home from work, and I'm waiting to find some accessible bindweed and fuschia.

The best first step is just to walk around your own garden and learn what you can feed from there. As long as you've got the basics down, you can build up a bigger list of shop-bought items as time goes on. Of course, always remember to read the labels. I only go for fresh, organic foods and have to make sure nothing is added. Some of the salad mixes in Tesco, for example, have added black pepper. :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
If by greens you meen veg here are a few vegetables i feed tiago (im in UK)

Rocket,
Green Cabbage,
Sweetheart Cabbage,
Romaine lettuce,
Gem lettuce,
Sweetcorn,
Carrots,
Red leaf lettuce,
Cucumber,
Tomatoes,
Red,Green,Yellow Pepper,
Beansprouts (stir fry mix ;) ) ,
i feed iceberg occasionaly which some people do not agree as it is 97% water.
Kale,
Peas,
Butternut Squash (Natural wormer) ,
Pumpkin (natural wormer),
Spinach (varied diet),
I can't remember anymore now but if i do i will be back here to help you! :p

Also spring mix is just mixed lettuce etc.. ! :p

Yes...what cheryl said..

nickymills

5 Year Member
thanks all especially tyler with your fab list! I have looked at lists on here and on other web sites, but don't recognise some of them, how un-healthy am i! lol

So, back to basics then lol xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.