Newby question

DWaller

Location (City and/or State)
Cornwall
Hi, I am a new mum (since Friday evening) and have a few concerns. I picked up my 8 week old Med Spur Thighed tort (Rocket) Friday evening, I left the lights on for 1/2 hour so he got a feel for his new home, he then took himself to bed. The lights were turned on at 6am and I was expecting him to emerge pretty much straight away, he didn't until about 10am and then just walked around once and went back into his hut. I brought him out a few times and then thought I should just let him get on with it. He came out again for 1/2 hour at the end of the day. He is in a vivarium with adequate uvb and a basking temp of around 31 Celsius. The cool end is around 20 Celsius. He wouldn't eat anything. I also bathed him for 15 minutes in warm water in the morning. This morning the lights came on at 6:30am and it is now 8am and still no sign. I have increased the bulb wattage thinking perhaps it wasn't hot enough for him. I would be grateful for any advice and tips.
Many thanks
DawnDSCF2045.JPG

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Dawn
Baby tortoises are food for birds , raccoons, rats , dogs . Until your tort gets comfortable with its new home it will do what's nature to hide . It will start coming out as it gets ready .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445763615.868947.jpg

DWaller

Cornwall
Thank you - I thought it was just settling in period just needed someone to say that :) He came out just after I posted, I've given him a bath and offered food and now he's back in his hut.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Does he have some plants in there he can hide under? They add interest and security for him.
see www.thetortoisetable.org,uk to find tort safe plants
Spider plants are safe if nibbled but if you buy from a store you have to repot them in chemical free soil and wait a while until any fertilisers used by the stores suppliers have grown out, which could take a while.
If you have or know anyone with older established plants that haven't been sprayed or fed with chemicals then maybe take cuttings. It is sometimes best to leave in pots and bury all in substrate to they are easy to change if nibbled down or bulldozed!
Have a look at the enclosures thread for ideas and to see what other members use.
Artificial plants may be a bit risky if he decides to try eating those.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi and welcome to TFO. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445783918.867409.jpg my babies live in a vivarium as well. They do like to hide. We take ours outside for about 1/2-1 hrs daily. Well, have been till today (to cold for them) they are a lot more active outside and can walk surprisingly fast. They love to climb, so I put couple of caves in their viv that they can climb on top. I'm looking for ideas to make a double decker for them in their viv, already found a cute wooden picket fence to fence off the ledges (fall prevention).
What are the whitish particles in your substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dawn, and welcome to the Forum!

May I ask what kind of light you're using? Sometimes the light makes them hide because certain types of light are harmful to baby tortoises' eyes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you said the basking temperature & the cool side temperature do you know the overall temperature of the enclosure if it's too cold overall he will be slow to start moving eating and getting about his day

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please keep in mind that torts don't like change, therefore you'll have to be very patient till your adorable tort gets used to the new place, new climate, new enclosure, new owner, new everything! Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your temps are too cold. During cold mornings, they often sleep late. Also at this time of year they start wanting to hibernate because of the shorter day and colder temps.

The area right under the basking lamp should be 36-37. Get the overall ambient up to 25-26 during the day too. 20 should normally be okay for an overnight low, but if you are having appetite and activity level issues try going warmer at night. Keep it 24-25. I use ceramic heating elements set on a reptile thermostat to maintain ambient and night temps where I want them.

Also, are you using a coil type cfl bulb? Those are the ones Yvonne was asking about. They sometimes burn reptile eyes and should not be used.

Finally, I see the pet shop recommended that Pets At Home substrate with the limestone bits in it. I would take that out immediately. Young growing tortoises frequently have calcium cravings and encouraging the tortoise to eat their substrate to satisfy these cravings is a mistake that could be disastrous. I prefer coco coir for small testudo species. Sometimes coco coir is marketed as "Eco-Earth" or "Bed-a-Beast".

Hope this all helps.

Here is some more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

DWaller

Cornwall
Hi and welcome to TFO. View attachment 153680 my babies live in a vivarium as well. They do like to hide. We take ours outside for about 1/2-1 hrs daily. Well, have been till today (to cold for them) they are a lot more active outside and can walk surprisingly fast. They love to climb, so I put couple of caves in their viv that they can climb on top. I'm looking for ideas to make a double decker for them in their viv, already found a cute wooden picket fence to fence off the ledges (fall prevention).
What are the whitish particles in your substrate?

The white particles are limestone grit I believe. The substrate is high quality top soil and sand (Tortoise Life).

DWaller

Cornwall
Hi Dawn, and welcome to the Forum!

May I ask what kind of light you're using? Sometimes the light makes them hide because certain types of light are harmful to baby tortoises' eyes.

Hi, I have an Arcadia Basking Spot Light 50W currently but think I need to up this reading other comments.

DWaller

Cornwall
Your temps are too cold. During cold mornings, they often sleep late. Also at this time of year they start wanting to hibernate because of the shorter day and colder temps.

The area right under the basking lamp should be 36-37. Get the overall ambient up to 25-26 during the day too. 20 should normally be okay for an overnight low, but if you are having appetite and activity level issues try going warmer at night. Keep it 24-25. I use ceramic heating elements set on a reptile thermostat to maintain ambient and night temps where I want them.

Also, are you using a coil type cfl bulb? Those are the ones Yvonne was asking about. They sometimes burn reptile eyes and should not be used.

Finally, I see the pet shop recommended that Pets At Home substrate with the limestone bits in it. I would take that out immediately. Young growing tortoises frequently have calcium cravings and encouraging the tortoise to eat their substrate to satisfy these cravings is a mistake that could be disastrous. I prefer coco coir for small testudo species. Sometimes coco coir is marketed as "Eco-Earth" or "Bed-a-Beast".

Hope this all helps.

Here is some more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Thank you for your advice, I will change the substrate and look to get a bigger wattage bulb. It is the Arcadia basking spot light - not a coil type.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Dawn, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Rocket.
Does the Arcadia basking bulb provide UVB?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I use the Arcadia Mini D3 80W MVB which does give UVB with light and heat.

If you have the Arcadia solar spot basking bulb - that does not give UVB.
so you need to change it for the MVB as above or similar.